Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the PIC compiler using C

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiTech PIC C is very good one

HiTech PIC C is very good one

as long as you stay away from their OCG stuff, particularly the 9.7x versions.

OK, it's funny to watch how many guys answered this topic sharing no experience and giving no useful advice :roll:

The question was:

which is the best PIC compiler (in c )?

The answer:

It depends on your project complexity and on your experience as well as on your financial status. That's it!

I. Generally:
- CCS is easier to learn, you've got good library background, sometimes you will get compiler bugs more frequently. On the other hand CCS C is frequently updated (because of those bugs). Quite ANSI compatible compiler.
- Microchip C - good and stable C compiler implementation with some serious ANSI C incompatibilities. Also working with PIC memory banks in Microchip C is more than annoying. Not frequently updated (may be because of less bugs or because of Microchip laziness).
- Hi-Tech C compiler - not cheap, but my favorite one. Linear memory addressing (you don't care of memory banks). Very good code optimization, almost ANSI compatible. I've got positive experience using Hi-Tech compilers with PIC16 and PIC18 series.

Note: I don't have any personal experience with other PIC C compilers, like MicroC, IAR, Knudsen, etc.

II. Project complexity
- if your project is rather simple go for cheaper solution, like CCS.
- if you need some support or free code from Microchip, go for Hi-Tech or Microchip C (I prefer Hi-Tech). For example free Microchip TCP stack for ENC28J60 is available only for Hi-Tech and Microchip C compilers.

I would go for Hi-Tech stuff, but it is completely up to you to make a decision.
Use Google and try to ask other people who have some experience with PIC development.

My friend,
You better watch the posts closer, then you will find some answers are really related.

By the way try Microchip C + MPLAB.
MPLAB (the IDE) is free and you can find free student version of Microchip C there.

You better work with something that has support rather than being very usesr friendly but very little support when you are trapped!

Mahdi.

It is recommended for beginners only. Other wise work out with other compilers like Hi-tech C , CCS etc,
Regards,
Jerin. :)

I think you are very experienced in C language. Can you broter help me in understanding and suggesting me how can I start with C. I have been working in assembly language. Now I want to start with C. as many of my friends told me that C is very easy to program a Microcontroller. I want to work with mircro C or CCS. Can you tell me how can I start with it if you have any ebood that help me to start with microC or CCS plz tell me. I will be so thankful to you,

regards

I programmed in C for years, but recently switched to the more friendly Flowcode from Matrix. At the C compile stage I occasionally tidy up the code, or use some of my own C routines.
So far I haven't found a better PIC programming language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back