Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the easiest way to start VHDL/ CPLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbla

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which is the easiest way to start learning VHDL for CPLD programming?

Thanks and regards,

bimbla.

my way:

download altera's free software, maxplus2 or quartus2. there are some tutorial within those software.

follow the tutorial step by step. the tutorial in the software is the best teacher.

need not read some textbooks in the first days.

regards

HDL language is just RTL representation of digital logic circuits, If you are familiar with digital design, you can refer to tutorials or books for HDL description on the function blocks or modules. I mean, actually, there is no easy way to follow if you are not acquainted with digital design at all.

If you are very familiar with digital circuit, the VHDL is nothing. But if you do not understand digital circuit, you could not do any design even you read a lot of VHDL books.

As far as digital design is concerned, u can try "Digital Design, Principles & Practices" - Wakerly.

in the book has sample vhdl & abel codes.

OK, then apart from the software, what's the hardware tools that I need to prepare?

try Xilinx

you can buy a CPLD development board. Generally these boards
price is below 60$. You can visit below website.

http://www.digilentinc.com/

rgds...

You can learn VHDL for this book

VHDL Programming by Example 4th. Edition by Perry

you can install a quartus ii (ALTERA co. ltd.) platform and begin to study.

best regards

bimbla said:
Which is the easiest way to start learning VHDL for CPLD programming?

Thanks and regards,

bimbla.

i think you should focus on digital circuit course, it's fundermental and critical. then you can buy a FPGA development kit and take practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.