Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] which is the cheep and best sensor for object dectation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar474

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my robot have to detect an object in front of it 40-50cm Away from it
there is a sensor called IR sharp sensor but it is too expansive
i Ned to make proper substitute for that.
can any body help me?

It would be helpful if you told us the type of opbject you need to detect and how much you are willing to pay for the sensor.

PIR will only work on an object that radiates heat - they detect IR energy. You can also look at ultrasonic - https://www.maxbotix.com/.

sagar474

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
GSM man
My object are like box or a qube or any irregular shapes.
if i use the ultrasonic sensors they may produce different responces for different kind of substances. hence it is difucelt to select ADC value in the microcountroler.

You can use IR sensor's that is used in industrial controls. It is available upto 10's of meters range.

Nandhu

sagar474

Joyhtidas said:
hi...Check PIR sensor.... to suit your requirement
I have used IR and ultrasonic techniques to detect obstacles. Can PIR sensors be used to detect any objects or obstacles? Practically i was using PIR to detect human biengs or those objects which generate heat. I didnt come across a situation where PIR can detect walls or tables or chairs. If some one has already used for said applications, please share thier expereiences. Cheers

sagar474

The sensors from Sharp are not that expensive. For example the GP2Y0A21YK0F has a detecting range from 10 to 80 cm, and costs less than 10 euro (or less than 10 dollar, e.g. https://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/136). It has an analog output which value depends on the distance to the object.
You can find an explanation on how to use this sensor **broken link removed**.

I have already used these sensors succesfully in many robotics projects. They are really not expensive compared to other sensors.

sagar474

i'm helping a friend in his graduation project which is "camera tracking a moving vehicle" in which they are using an ultrasonic EZ1 sensor, a PIC micro-controller, and a servo motor, as the sensor will detect the object and send the signal to the pic which sends the appropriate value to move the servo (the camera mounted on servo) to follow the object, but as they are using 1 sensor, the movement will be in 1 direction only.

Could you help me in this project, as i do need help in the code and the circuit of it, and which is the best PIC micro-controller to do it?

With one sensor, if the sensor looses track, you have to guess in which direction the object has moved. But if, as you say, the object can only move into one direction, the problem is very easy to solve:

repeat forever:
while (no objected is detected)
turn
end while
end repeat

The implementation depends of the programming language you are using. If you are using C, you can have some inspiration in **broken link removed**, which is pretty similar to the problem you want to solve. You only have to replace the light sensors with distance sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back