Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better for interfacing with MCU, NVRAM or EEPROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czpir

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
NVRAM or EEPROM

For about 1K of storage during an application run like data logging, which is better NVRAM or EEPROM in terms of interfacing and cost for a MCU ?

TIA

NVRAM or EEPROM

The EEPROM it's a low cost solution but it limits your number of writes in. The NVRAM is more expensive and it depends on the baterry life. Best it's to use FRAM from RAMTRON.

Re: NVRAM or EEPROM

Marie

Can you eloborate on "limited write ins" ? Would there be a limit on the number of times the EEPROM could be used ?

TIA

What are the characteristics of FRAMs? I never heard about them until now.

Better go for NVSRAM, quite expensive but I think TI gives them for free, has even built-in RTC's.

Btw, NVSRAMS requires more number of pins, I haven't seen a serial NVSRAM.

NVRAM more expensive than EEPROM but NVRAM have better performance(speed). Write cycle of EEPROM less than NVRAM. So if you use many read/write process better use NVRAM rather than EEPROM

czpir said:
Marie

Can you eloborate on "limited write ins" ? Would there be a limit on the number of times the EEPROM could be used ?

TIA

Usually it's in the datasheet, and it goes from 100.000 to about 1 milion erase writes cycles. The specifications are for the worst condition of temperature and voltage. There are some algorithms to increase your EEPROM life time but are code size consuming (you can use a counter for the number of times that you wrote in a cell, and to shift to another EEPROM cell when you are reach the write limit)

geppoilfolle said:
What are the characteristics of FRAMs? I never heard about them until now.

For FRAM information go to www.ramtron.com. They also send samples as far I know.

If you are looking for a device to store the data, not the execution code, maybe should try serial ROM, e.g. 24C16. I2C bus is used to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.