Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is better for C@dence IC5.0, KDE or GNOME?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFID

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In RedHat 8 the default installatino option is GNOME,
but I think KDE has a nice apperance and is more powerful.
Is it OK to install and run C@dence IC5.0 in KDE?

thanks

yes, ic50 can installed in KDE. I have tried.

Hi

Cadence GUI is based on QT libraries.

It works fine on both GNOME, KDE ( I have tested it).

tnx

It works with both GNOME, KDE. However, RH 8.0 perhaps is not the good platform to run c@dence. Please try RH 7.2

C@dence IC5.0 works perfectly on RH8.0 (both KDE and GNOME) for me. It doesnt matter if it is KDE or GNOME. you can choose which ever you like the most.

thanks for all of you.

I am new to Linux. when I installed Redhat7.2, I encounted some video card problem. That was the reason I turned to RedHat8.0.
I feel the desktop of RH8.0 is a little different with that of RH7.2.
Based the my hardware, I have to choose RH8.0, and want to use KDE.

Wish c@dance can work well on it.

The tool worked depands on os version and run-time library, not x-window client.

EDAs work well on WindowMaker, my favorite, too. It's extremely faster and more stable while still has some decorative options. Moreover, you don't have to waste your memory for unused feature in KDE or GNOME. Under WindowMaker, you can run all KDE and GNOME application, like jiang said, it depend on system's libralies not the X-environment itself.

Totally agree with amuro.
Window maker is very good, esp if you're used to solaris' cde and openwindows

Amuro said:
EDAs work well on WindowMaker, my favorite, too. It's extremely faster and more stable while still has some decorative options. Moreover, you don't have to waste your memory for unused feature in KDE or GNOME. Under WindowMaker, you can run all KDE and GNOME application, like jiang said, it depend on system's libralies not the X-environment itself.

srik said:
Totally agree with amuro.
Window maker is very good, esp if you're used to solaris' cde and openwindows.

Thanks for the constructive comments made by Amuro and srik. I am very interested in this so called "Window maker", since I used Solaris and tend to migrate to Linux. But unfortunately I am a newbie to Linux.

Please could you two tell more about the Window maker? Is it an equivalence to Linux, like Redhat OS? Or it is simply a window-like software running on Linux, say Redhat? Which EDAs and versions are supported with it?

Or please could you suggest some good links for this good stuff...

Steve88

Window Maker is one of the common X11 window manager. It is compatible with all Linux distro as well as some Unix box. Its main website which you can find a lot of useful info is here. https://www.windowmaker.org/

In its FAQ section can answer lot of your questions. And now, Welcome to Window Maker World. :)

Does c@dence rely on linux kernel ONLY ?

If it is true, we need not install KDE and GNONE. We can install and start c@dence on command line.

RFID said:
Does c@dence rely on linux kernel ONLY ?

If it is true, we need not install KDE and GNONE. We can install and start c@dence on command line.

It's almost like that. It rely on some base libralies also and you need to install X-server and at least one X-manager to bring Cadence working in graphic mode (it can't work on text mode, of course).

When I installed RedHat 8.0, I found an option of window maker.

does anyone try this window maker included in RedHat?

Can this window maker support c@dence?

Yes, I'm currently using IC50 under Window Maker in RH8 and it's working absolutely perfect. Actually, you can install more than one X-manager in your linux box e.g. Window Maker + KDE + GNOME. Nowaday, storage device is very cheap. Sometime you may want some beautiful feature, you can use KDE (or GNOME). But if you want another one faster, more stable or do not want to wait to load a lot of thing, you can switch to Window Maker. It shows you working screen instantly as just enter the password in today powerful PC.

The GNOME is faster and good for GUI
but the KDE is good looking

Status
Not open for further replies.