Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better bus style tri-state or mux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod_wu

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gate vs tristate mux

Please help me. Which is better ?......I don't how to use in my design.
and why to use that.
Txh

soc bus tri-state

It depends on your design.
If the bus is shared within a small block, perhaps mux isn't a bad idea. But if the bus is shared by some blocks which may be placed seperately in layout, tri-state style is more suitable for area/routing consideration. And some small bus keeper may be needed.

Hope it helps : )

xilinx cpld tristate bus

Thanks sunjimmy

For SOC design, I will integrate other blocks in future. Which is better?

shared tri state bus

rod_wu said:
For SOC design, I will integrate other blocks in future. Which is better?

For this application it is definetely better to use tri-state bus! But do not forget to implement the kind of bus arbiter if you will have more than one master on the bus!

Ace-X.

tri state buses shared

Tri-state buses may consume more power due to capacitive load by all the nodes.
regards

tri-state bus soc

If you integrate other blocks in future, surely, bus style tri-state is better.

state bus vs mux bus

Why ARM bus version2.0 form tri-state change to Mux ?

why tri state bus needed in asic

Timing and testing in tri-state bus implementation is a problem.
The designers don't take more time to trim timing problem by using mux-based bus.
In SOC design, all most designs choose mux-based bus, because IP integration is easier.
Another benefit of the mux-based bus is to improve bus bandwidth efficiency significantly, eg. AMBA 2.0.

actel tri-state bus

Hi,

I think it is not possible to say this is better then.... Normally you have a look on the chip you are using, e.g. Altera ´have no internal tristate busses, they can only build external tristate Busses. This feature will only be in Xilinx FPGA's.

Phytex

xilinx tristate bus

Even Actel FPGAs don't have internal tristate busses. Only at I/O pad level these can be implemented.

phytex arm board

Thanks All

xilinx internal tristate bus

I THINK THAT THE TRISTATE BUFFER IS ALWAYS BETTER IF YOU USE IN A SOC WHERE POSSIBLE.

tri-state or mux

What is your design. If you design a uC board or ... . Tri state bus is better.
But if you design an SOC or ASIC (or both) it deoends to your vendors as menthioned above.

mux bus

i use mux bus for my design (2 million gate), no testing issues, easy to manage. btw, my design does not have a cpu core in it.

tristate mux

From my point of view, mux is make the design easy to implement. However, tri-state bus style is good for large design with many block. And it need more effect on layout backannotion.

sunjimmy said:
It depends on your design.
If the bus is shared within a small block, perhaps mux isn't a bad idea. But if the bus is shared by some blocks which may be placed seperately in layout, tri-state style is more suitable for area/routing consideration. And some small bus keeper may be needed.

Hope it helps : )

How to put a bus keeper in the design? Is it done by Place & Route tool?

Our ASIC design practice is: inside the chip, MUX only. No tri-state.
External bus, tri-state if necessary.

Tri-state has problems such as timing and power consumption, as posted by another fellow. Avoid tri-state if you're doing ASIC design.

FPGA is different. FPGA devices have tri-state buffers built in. In some cases, it makes sense to use those tri-state buffers to drive long lines that are shared by blocks. This trick reduces routing congestions. However, tri-state buffers are slow, be aware of it.

There has been recently a discussion on comp.arch.fpga exactly about this issue. Check that posts, Ray Andraka has posted a very decent explanation.

tahiti

Thanks All ,
It's nice discussion.

In my experience the "which is better" debate would be "it depends if your
tools can support the methodology". If your tools can cope with the
contention and undriven aspects of tristate buses, then bidirects are usually smaller and cheaper to use. But if your tools expect logical connections only, then it is best not to use bidirects because sooner or later you will come across a situation when the tools misses a logical driver error resulting in contention, or worse a float.

Status
Not open for further replies.