Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is better AVR or PIC microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfheart_2001

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

i already use 8051 based microcontrollers, its time to me to either use PIC or AVR, what u suggest for me ??

which is simpler to use and learn??

I used 8051 for several years and then switched to AVR ,I think AVR is a very good choice and better than PIC in instruction set,speed at same crystal frequency,better C support,many peripherals.

PIC have very old architecture and is better for people that have meny years experience with it.

For new users I suggest AVR then ARM7 for advanced projects.

Definitely AVR. I have experience with AVR, and familiar with PIC. AVR's instruction set, peripherals and memory map are very well organized. Quality shareware also
available.

Hi

Avr is better then PIC but it has les derivative.

MSP430 is better then both AVR and PIC together

All the best

Bobi

ARM is better than MSP430... for big design
but AVR are my prefered for small design

hello
there are a lot of AVR and PIC, by different hardware , what kind of AVR and what kind of PIC?

I vote for AVR.

Reasons:
- it's easier to get (at least at my place)
- development tools/software are easy to get (most of them are free: AVR Studio, AVR-GCC)
- easy to transfer HEX file (using ISP)
- comes with many different specs and pin counts with such reasonable price.

thanx for your opinions,

with all this support to AVR uC's, i think it will be my choice.

Try ATmega8. but i doubt the ICCAVR (it is download for free at imagecraft) complier efficiency.

what is the basic architecture for AVR uC's, you know like 8051 which is the base for all its family.

also, from where can i get tutorials and hardware architecture explanation

Hi wolfheart_2001
try this link plz
**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

for great applications which need more memory and faster clock just avr but for simple applications which cost are very important just use pic . easier cheaper and good substitute for 8051.

arno_a_boy said:
for great applications which need more memory and faster clock just avr but for simple applications which cost are very important just use pic . easier cheaper and good substitute for 8051.

The AVR series is as cheap as the PIC series

The new ATmega48 is less than 1.5$

/Bingo

I designed numerous high-volume applications with both PIC and AVR microcontrollers. In my opinion AVR is a better choice.

AVR's are cheaper then PIC's , have a much more better architecture, peripherals and speed. It's not a user friendly tool but a free C compiler (winAVR- a GNU GCC port) is also available for AVR's.

The biggest drawback of AVR , development tools are a little bit buggy. Not as mature as PIC enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.