Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better, a transformer with a tap changer on its primary or secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoe

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi!

just want to hear from guys,

which is better, a transformer with a tap changer on its primary or secondary? and why?

thanks

transformer LTC

If you are talking about an AC mains power transfer, the choice depends on the purpose for the tap.
- Tapped primary accommodates different AC mains voltages, such as 100, 120, 240.
- Tapped secondary generates different output voltages.

You might get away with using taps incorrectly, however you could get lower efficiency (greater heating), and you must be careful not to exceed the transformer's voltage and current ratings, or saturate the core.

transformer LTC

tle load tap changer LTC you asked about is done on HT side of transformer because it has less current pass in , so it will be less size and more compatable although it has more voltage
thanx

Re: transformer LTC

its provided generally on HT side not on primary r secondary side...as it need only less insulation..

Re: transformer LTC

bigjoe said:
hi!

just want to hear from guys,

which is better, a transformer with a tap changer on its primary or secondary? and why?

thanks

Personally, I like the primary taps, since I build powersupplies a lot. It is handy. Instead of needing 2 or 3 different transformers, you can use one with the multiple taps.
Same for the secondary. I usually buy the ct types, again for the same reasons above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back