Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which is best programming language for electronic engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I think the best open source languages that can help an EE is Python. I do a lot of stuff using that.
Its free and has lots of support. Additionaly it is an interpreted language and has very simple syntax.
I have already made a boot loader for my AVR micros using it.

Re: which is best programming language for electronic engine

It seems python is not very popular to use with microcontrollers. If it's interpreted language it can make software work slowly.

Before you use C, C##, C++, C--, Java, Delphi, Python or grass snake - whatever.

I think that "English" is the best language for programming. :D

Then it is whatever language does the task in hand best, AFAIK different languages are used for different applications & platforms so you need to know more than one over your programming life.

Consider your current task & ask what language will suit that better.

Some microcontrollers were especially designed for assembly language such as 8051, PIC12xxx, PIC16xx, PIC17xxx. In my opinion PIC microcontrollers have very "dull" architecture. I spent plenty of time to remove all the errors from my programs. However, they're popular.
Although there are C compilers created for the mentioned chips but compiled code is large and slow and take up many microcontroller resources. I think such chips as MSP430, ARMs and AVRs are the best suited for high level languages.
I know some people who are assembly language fanatics and they are very reluctant to switch to C/C++ for example and they spent a lot of time to write their software.

Maybe there is not the best language, just as for our native speaking languages. I mainly use FORTRAN to simulate electromagneics problems, IT is very convinence to program with complex numbers.

I was told that: "The best language is one, which you know well" :)

Thanks for giving the comment regarding my queries. Is it possible to simulate the communication related project in C/C++?????

Some programming environments have simulation functions that allows you to watch data sending through communication interfaces which are present in many microcontrollers. However, simulating any hardware is a bad idea. The simulated object may work nice in simulator but in practice you usually encounter some problems. The simulator shows you if your software works correctly but if there is failure in your electrical circuit it will not detect it. In such a situation one usually thinks there is a bug in software nad searches for it. To run communciation interfaces and write software for it an oscilloscope is needed.

C and VHDL!

C once again becouse:
- it's universal 40 ore more platforms that can manage with C applications
- open source tools like DevCpp
- it's easier to migrate to C++ and them maby study writing in .NET
- most producers gives C examples for microcontrollers

You can use C in Simulink from Matlab as an M-File and build own block's.

Thanks for giving the comment regarding my queries. Is it possible to simulate the project like GSM and CDMA related in C/C++......like multipath fading , channel allocation .....mobile fading system...frequency planning.??????

p.mlo said:
C once again becouse:
- it's universal 40 ore more platforms that can manage with C applications
- open source tools like DevCpp
- it's easier to migrate to C++ and them maby study writing in .NET
- most producers gives C examples for microcontrollers

You can use C in Simulink from Matlab as an M-File and build own block's.

+ C is able to perform low level system manupulation, yet it's very powerful.
C is more stable than most of the other languages out there.

There is one thing however, that brings some confusion. There are many C compilers for a given microcontroller. If one writes software in certain compiler it will not be compiled without errors in another one. For example if you write sofware in "Ride" environment in will crash in "CrossWorks". Is such case, many modifications are needed in your software. It makes me furious. That's why i think we cannot say that C language is fully portable.

Hello,

I respect all out C/C++ fans. But let me tell you on system side if you want to do some simple things C takes a far longer time to do it.
Eg: I want to Scan a data file for a string of bytes
In C: 102 lines (No comments)
In Python: 18 Lines (No comments & Win32)

I want to write a program to prepare a coded message from a set of predefined events & Sinus Function values.
In C: 140 Lines
In Python: 26 Lines

So you can see that we surely have all Power full C but in some case its a overkill. So when you want things to be dome quick or have lower learning curve try out Python.
After all Honeywell & NASA believe in its Power.

Best of Lick !!

I want to write a program to prepare a coded message from a set of predefined events & Sinus Function values.
In C: 140 Lines
In Python: 26 Lines

Yes, but "shorter code" doesn't always mean "faster code".
If you put code generated by Python in any popular microcontroller it may turn out that code generated by C compiler would be faster despite more lines of code used. The similar situation happens when someone writes code in assembly and in C: code written in assembly occupies much more lines of code but it's faster.

Hello,

I hope the author of this forum want to know about System Side language and not Micro side.

Let me know.

I feel it depends on the application/system that we will be designing.

Definitely C++ and verilog

Obviously it is C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back