Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which inductor current waveform is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Please tell me which current waveform is correct. Thank you for the help.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• inductwaveform.jpg
    inductwaveform.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 116

Hi PG

I am afraid that both waveforms are wrong.
But waveform 2 is closer to the right one. Only its trace between 0.1s to 0.2s is right. Its first part (from 0 to 0.1s) should be as you did. That is i(t) ~ t^2.
Your work is right but first you need to integrate from t0=0 to t=t so that you can get i(t) as a function of t. Then you find the value at 0.1s at which you got 2A which will be used to calculate the initial value (also at t=0, hence not equal to 2A) in the function of the second part (see the following line).
For the second part (from 0.1s to 0.2s), i(t) ~ -t (with the initial value at t=0, hint: you will find it equal to 4A) and as you already got, i(0.2s) = 0A.

Try to repeat your work to get the full function of i(t) for the two parts... Good Luck

Kerim

Attachments

• Lcurrent_1.png
    Lcurrent_1.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Consider that inductor current equals time integral of voltage. A linearly rising voltage thus must necessarily correspond to a quadratic increasing current.

Reactions: KerimF

KerimF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi PK,

A member (Mr Howard Hansen) in Electronics_101 (a Yahoo group), has added a link I thought it can be useful to you in your free time:

Digilent Inc. - Digital Design Engineer's Source

Kerim

PS: I am not sure why edaboard says the link is for "Digital Design" because actually it is about lectures (for students) on analog instead.

Last edited:

Inductor behavior is complicated.

I'm a fan of the Falstad.com analog simulations. Here's the interactive java applet for an inductor, showing waveforms.

As you'll see a portion of your triangle wave is correct as post #2 stated. (You may be asked to allow network type communication. Click Okay.)

Inductor

I have videos on Youtube which portray inductor behavior dynamically. Showing flux loops, EMF icons, and current flow.

With DC pulses:

Inductor behavior with DC (Animated) - YouTube

With AC sine and square waves:

Inductor behavior with AC (Animated) - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back