Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which free editor is best for VHDL/Verilog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipinlal

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am currently using Modelsim for editing and testing code. But I feel the code editor is very bad.

What editor do you use?

I use a lot of notepad++ with finger text and nppexec plugins. Works for me

vipinlal

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I will always vote for Notepad++

vipinlal

Notepad++ is very good for any text file editing. The biggest problem is that there is no linux version.

vipinlal

Thanks for the answers. I have installed and will try out notepad++. On first try, it seems much more awesome than the default editor.

The file tabs above the editing window are not very good in Notepad++ when you have many files open, but you can activate a much better file list to the left of the editing window by going to Settings->Preferences and checking both tick boxes in "Document List Panel".

Is there a way to let the notepad++ editor open inside modelsim as a docked window? Right now a new window opens up and I prefer the codes open inside modelsim as the default editor does.

It is not so straightforward.

I prefer opening my RTLfiles from the directory itself with NP++

Is there a way to let the notepad++ editor open inside modelsim as a docked window? Right now a new window opens up and I prefer the codes open inside modelsim as the default editor does.

I usually just keep everything open in notepad and use a console or nppexec (a console for notepad++) to run my simulations. If I needed to be interactive I run from the modelsim console.

I have been using notepad++ for years for "quick" edits, but since I have tried VSCode - that was the sad day when I started to use npp less.
Today VSCode is my one and only "quick" editor with VHDL/Verilog, C/C++, Python and ASM extensions.
VHDL/Verilog VSCode extension is getting better and better with every new release.

But today, my everyday "long term" free editor for VHDL/Verilog is still Eclipse with VEditor plugin.

Notepad ++ is a very good editor. NP++ has been my favorite editor for years.
I use Visual Studio Code more and more and today that is my favorite editor. VSCode is getting better very fast and there are a lot of plugins.
One reason I start using VSCode is that I use Instant-SoC to generate VHDL from C++ and that is run from VSCode.

@MarkPh and @niciki thanks for the suggestion. what plugin are you using for vhdl/verilog for VScode. I see a lot of plugins available, wondering which one I should select.

for me, marker-based code-folding is a requirement for a vhdl/verilog editor. I think this is just vim, emacs, and vscode (plugin) for the free editors. It sounds like notepad++ had this before 2010, but now it's only in languages like C# that have a #region feature.

vipinlal

Regarding Notepad++, there is a nice SourceCookfier plugin that parses files to match predefined RegEx (Regular expression).
Over time I have prepared a set of RegExes to parse VHDL files. The effect is below. I could prepare a blog entry about this - please let me know.
1606220080776.png

Status
Not open for further replies.