Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which FPGA is better for ASIC verification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

power-twq

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, all friends:

My boss want me to select a FPGA platform

use for ASIC verification, which device

are better, ALTERA's STRATIX II or

XILINX's VERTEX 4

best regards

Re: Which is better?

i wud say vertix family of board and processors are always better as its a perfect platform for pre synthesis and the post layout simulations match almost approximatly compared to ASICs.

with regards,

xilinx virtex 4 is much more better and its gate count is good and the tool and very nice..... i would go for Xilinx virtex 4

There's really no simple answer for that... "Depends on your design" is the only answer that's always right.

Best thing to do is to check what you need in design (user IO, memory, embedded processing, LE's, PLL's,...) and demand a quote from both and go with the best price.

Maybe others will disagree, but I have never found a design that couldn't be done with both Xilinx and Altera.

Which is better?

It also depends on which Tool you are using and your application to be implemented. Virtex4 are better suited for DSP applications with dedicated DSP48 blocks and Xilinx bets they can give you a frequency of 500MHz with full pipelined versions.

Which is better?

in fact , u should select your platform according to you special needs.if you have common needs ,you can select one of them .

I would like to add some more points.

Before choosing the FPGA, we should consider

1) The resources we needed for the design like memory depth, no.of I/Os, Worst case power consumption

2) Good support from local FAE (field application engineer)

3) Of course, Cost!

etc..etc...

regards,
Srilu

ooh,from the projects we done,the altera's Quartus is a friendly design tool,and whose fpga is easy to use.
maybe that's my opinion.

Even altera's excaliber and actel's pro asic tools work?

Which is better?

If ur design is sensitive to the cost, I believe altera is good choice. By the way, the tools altera provides is more convenient to use, in my opinion. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.