Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which FPGA, etc. is more better for digital video filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSUstudent

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I'm a Moscow State University student. I study in Graphics and Media Lab (Video Group). We write a video filters (free filters are shared on www.compression.ru/video). We need to write cores to FPGA programming, but we don't know, which FPGA is more better for our work. Please, help us to do right choise (which development kit and FPGA we need to buy). Tell us, which parameters of FPGAs we should to see at first (for digital video filtering)
Thanks.

Those boards are litle bit expencive, make sure you have proper support from the vendor, in case if something doesn't work. Also your ptrofessor should be able to advise which vendor to use because it will take time to figure out how to use software and all in and outs....

Good lack

dsp48 slice numbers is the first factor you should consider, slice number and ram number is also very
important factors.
i think you shoule make the code synthsised in ise tool first and find out how many slices and block rams you need.
To my opinion , span3a is a dream one to implement
video algorithms .
xilinx also suggest that custmers to use span3a to do signal processing task cause it have rich dsp48 slice resource which is very powerfull to promote the performance.

Re: Which FPGA, etc. is more better for digital video filter

First off, no one FPGA supplier's part is going to be better for your application than the others out there. While one supplier part may have some resources that another does not does not mean that its the better choice.

Before you choose a FPGA supplier you need to check into the level of support you will recieive from them. I say this because once you choose a supplier and start writing your code to develope your core, you are most likely going to be stuck with that supplier. I say this because virtually everyone ends up using some supplier specific IP or resource when developing their cores.

The second thing you need to consider is resources. The requirements of your core will tell you what resources you will need.

Finally dont just settle for the Xilinx or Altera banter that often appears on this website. Remember that there are other suppliers whose product is more than capable in getting your cores implemented like Lattice, Actel, Atmel, Quicklogic, and not to mention there are a few small FPGA start ups like Mathstar.

Hope this helps.

E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back