Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Firewall For Home User?

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbleson

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Firewall For Home User

Which firewall soft is most effective & suitable for home user esp those using p2p filesharing soft like ka*za*a or fil*esha*re?

Several window$ friends of mine like
wingate www.wingate.com.. try it.

I basically live under linux/openbsd :)

checkit

I find checkit software very good. I have not used it on file sharing. It has loads of options including being able to allow only specific IPs or ranges of IPs to access your computer.

Winroute h**p://www.winroute.com
But at work we are use CheckPoint Firewall-1.

Hi:
There are two products that cannot be missed out

1. Norton Firewall and
2. PGPfire from Network Associates/ PGP

Both offer a good personal firewall that serves as a control point for the desktop.

Regards
Binny

double protection

If you are a real security freak like me, you can add a Dlink D-704P hardware firewall which works with dial up modems and high speed cable/ADSL modems. It also has a print server and router.

You can specify which ports the outside world can connect to.

try smoothwall

I have tried a lot of firewalls, have stopped on AtGuard. A lot of functions.
But it is working only on Win9x. Norton have bought it, and now it called as Norton Internet Security.

Hi

If you want to do file sharing then don't use a firewall. You will have problems with conections when the firewall is running. Just don't put important files like bank info on your PC that you use for file shareing.

ServoPump

You may also want to try BlackIce defender. It is quite simple to configure and to use.

nathan

up mentioned winroute is good
or seach for easy Win proxy

pool_77

Hi,
can you compare mentioned above with @gnitum_outpost_firewall:
h**p://www.agnitum.com/download/

harlan1.

AtGuard is very good, but it don't work on win me. I think the Outpost is best choice :!: .

Thanks y'all for the recommendations.
I think I'll checkout Norton's package.

If you run any P2P applications, make sure you download and run Peer Guardian firewall.

I find Norton Firewall less easier to use than ZoneAlarm ... maybe I did not configure it properly :cry:

Norton Firewall is the best firewall out there...I tried a lot of firewalls but this is the best. You have a lot of options to configure. You can block or allow trafic by IP number, IP number range, in traffic, out traffic, traffic allowed only to specific aplication and so much more. There is no problem to configure it for peer-to-peer aplications. I'm using it all the time!

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back