Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which EDA software is better, Eagleware or ADS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reshaping

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Eagleware and ADS

I would like to compare the advantage and disadvantage between
the Eagleware and ADS Microwave EDA software.
Somebody can tell me ?

Eagleware is famouse for its synthsis functions, its model is simple. ADS has very large, complex model and function,it can design any circuits,but it is costly.

The former name of Eagleware is Compact which use small modules to provide different circuit simulation. ADS which also include system simulation, DSP simulation, EM (Momentum - Seems it is seldom discuss in the forum) which is quite sophisticated. And now @glient partner with Cadence to enhance it RFIC capacibility.

So if need comparation, I just say it is two different things.

Compact was actually sold to Ansoft, nothing to do with Eagleware!

E/a/g/l/e/w/a/r/e is easy to use and would be my choice for day to day u/s/e. @/D/S is much more complex but can handle bigger problems.

What about the bugs in these two?

i think the E/a/g/l/e/w/a/r/e is better for amp design.
but i prefer @D$

eagleware

The port definition in eagleware is rather weird... and not friendly....

A/D/S is more powerful than genesys and I donnot thinks A/D/S is difficult to use. Most vendors support A/D/S.

The feature of eagleware is filter design.
ADS is for circuit and system simulation.

re

the former is easy to be used, but @ds is for expert

I have seen very few bugs in either of these products.

sugm said all the truth but one - eagleware genesys is cheaper if you have to buy it :)

[I use Eagleware and ADS.
Eagleware is relatively frendly and cheap and very usefull, but if I don't use EM which is very slow in Eagleware, them I usually finish FILTER circuits in ADS or Serenede then conclude with EM session on Momentum or IE3D.

What is the method used in Genesys's field solver?

From Genesys help file:

Most commercial electromagnetic (EM) simulators designed for MIC and MMIC work are based on integral equations and the method of moments (MoM). EMPOWER is based on the method of lines (MoL). This technique has excellent error convergence properties and submits well to code optimization to minimize numeric complexity.

The root of EMPOWER is work which began in 1987 at the Novosibirsk Electrical Engineering Institute. This lead to the commercial development of TAMIC in 1991 in Moscow. TAMIC saw commercial use in the Soviet Union and elsewhere. In late 1996, Eagleware acquired TAMIC and the principle contributor joined Eagleware to begin significant improvements. The code was integrated into the GENESYS environment at release Version 6.5 in 1998.

i think @d5 is the best in rf design.

Depends on the talent and knowledge of the engineer.
A good engineer may make most softwares look excellent?

Ea/gle/ware is comparable to Microwave O/ff/ice.

Both work in the frequency domain and are there quite powerful and especially easy to use.

@ds has much more versatility but it has a learning curve. It has a transient solver as well and you can user program a lot.
Especially for MMIC design it is better because you can build you own transistor models and program alot more.

For a designer or a research, any EDA is always a tool. experiment is always necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back