Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Digital POT to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know which MAXIM digital pot to use for my circuit? The device should be in production. I need to adjust the ADC input using a digital pot i.e., I need to vary the ADC input from 0 to 5V using digital pot.

Hi alexan

I need Digital Pot in DIP package. I can use Microchip MCP41XXX devices also. I need algorithm to adjust resistance from min to max when buttons are pressed. I have two buttons INC and DEC. Dallas pots have 256 steps and microchip has only 64 steps.

I found that Microchip has only 6-bit digital pots in Up/Down type and 256-bit pots in SPI type. I will go for MCP41010 (10k) digital pot SPI interface. I need algorithm to increment and decrement the resistance.

Last edited:

There are both 6bit and 8bit chips in the Microchip line.

MC41010/50/100 and MCP42010/50/100 have 256 steps , check page 7 of the document I have linked above

As you are only producing a voltage, have you considered using a DAC as a digital pot?

Ground the negative reference, connect the positive reference to +5V and the digital input will select the voltage you get out. A standard 8-bit DAC will give you 256 steps.

Brian.

Now I am finding if there are any 10-bit pot in DIP package. Analog devices have in TSOP package. If anybody find 10-bit pot in DIP package please mention its part number. Can I use SPI DAC 10 bit or higher. I think LTC have some 12 or 16 bit SPI DACs.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, they are 256 bit but not UP/Down type. They are SPI type.

Edit: Thank you betwixt. I ordered 12 bit SPI DACs in DPI package. I will use them as Digital Pots.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back