Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which development kit is better to start ARM based microcontroller programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theasus

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to learn ARM based microcontroller programing. What do you offer for this purpose? Should I buy a high level development kit like Beagle board or a basic development kit like LM3S811? Is it necessary to learning basic instruction on LM3S811? Or Should I use directly high level development kit with a operating system (not using an IDE like CCS.just using Embedded Linux or something like that)

Thanks.

Are you an engineer looking to expand your career or a hobbyist?

I would go the direction of Texas Instruments LM3S811 Dev Board learning basic instruction to help you become an embedded software engineer.

The Beagle board may be good if you'd rather like to be strictly a high-level programmer not embedded guy.

Are you only interested in Cortex-M3 or for other ARM families as well?

Yes,I want to become an embedded software engineer. Actually I'm confused about Embedded Operation System. Because they are everywhere in industrial design. And too many people only use Embedded Operating System.I asked this question for this confusion. As you said, Starting to learn embedded software design with ARM LM3S811 kit could be better. But the main question is "Is it neccessary?".
And also I'm intereseted in ARM families not only M3.
I would appreciate if you could provide more suggestions.

Thanks for your considerations.

I started with STM32 Discovery. Just because you can simulate NXP LPX2xxx CPUs with proteus and buy demoboard to check that everything work... I think not necessary.

i want know for best langauge and software to progamming PIC

The best language is that you better know. Basic, Pascal, C...
C is most powerful. But more difficult to learn. With basic you can start programming at the same day.
Now even ARM can be programmed with basic. So, choose what do you want.
I used basic for a long time and now using C because need to use some constructions, that I was not able to realize with basic.

Hi,

To get the best response you ought to have started a new post as your question is really a different subject.

Use the free Microchip MPLAB IDE v8.76 rather than MPLAB X which is still under development.

Which language is best is entirely down to what suits you, there is such a choice of free compliers you really have to try them and see what suits you.
Some suggest you start of with Assembler as it teaches you a lot more about the pic hardware, others use C and its many variants or Basic for something easy to get going with, according to some.

Look though this forum and search out the many free online Pic programming tutorials, have a look at them and see which you can follow / make sense to you the easiest; that might be your starting point.

In my opinion, If you are looking to do this for your career, then yes it is important you use industry tools, not hobbyist kits that abtract you too much from what it going on.

C is the language to learn, but assembly can give you more perspective about whats going on and the hardware involved.

Texas Instruments LM3S811 Dev Board would be a great choice. As far as operating systems, there is no standard operating system, but check out any of the RTOS types since these are used mostly for embedded systems. There may be some free or trial versions of an OS you can check out.

theasus said:
And also I'm intereseted in ARM families not only M3.

Since you haven't decide yet, also take a look at Keil's development board MCB2100:
Keil MCB2100 Evaluation Board Overview

It uses LPC2129 of the LPC2000 family, a less advanced ARM family (ARM7), but cheaper also:
NXP (founded by Philips) LPC2129

For debugging tool you will need something from the ULINK family:
ULINK Family of Debug and Trace Adapters

Also Hitex offers a very solid base to get started with its free insider guide:
**broken link removed**

I have used all of these tools and found them really nice and helpful. Also there are complete demo projects to run on the EVB, but you can start yours and implement examples from the insider's guide of the above link. For your information we are talking about low level implementation and not a high level one, to answer to your original query.

Cheers!

If your project is for educational purposes, then one of the best deals for a JTAG programmer/debugger is the following:

SEGGER J-Link EDU

It is the same device as the professional version, but sold for only $60 USD.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.