Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which controller is more reliable for EMI/EMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tectona

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all

Which controller is more reliable for EMI/EMC
Microchip (16F, 18F & 24 Series)
Atmel (AVR or 8051 Core)
Cygnal
TI (TMS 430 Series)
Motorolla.

Regards,
Tectona

They are all moretheless the same ..

Regards,
IanP

all are equally good,provided you have followed good layout techniques and grounding. till date i have had emi issues severla times, but invariably the issue turned out to eb PCB layouting, gorunding and decoupling! so dont waste time finding the mst reislient device, but search something on pcb layouting for EMI/EMC.

Not exactly an EMI/EMC issue but as data years ago having an AVR on a grappling made prototype I had to add an additional ground return wire to avoid continous resets on the device. I never had such a problem on 8051 / HC08 devices with similar setups. I suppose even for equivalent performance devices internal clocking strategies depending on manufacturer make them more or less sensitives to layout flaws, ie. the greater the clocking edge coincidence among peripherals over common return, the greater the sensitivity on return inductance.

Cheers ;-)

Added after 17 minutes:

Just an advise: if you want a specially EMC robust uC, look for pieces close to ones commonly used in automotive industry (ie with avaliable CAN controller variants although you choose a CAN-less variant). Devices approved for automotive use are specially EMC resistant.

Cheers ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.