Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which book is the cookbook for High Power Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayengine

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
solid state radio engineering krauss edaboard

Hi All,

As we already knew that there have some books that RF engineerig MUST read before.
e.g. Microwave Transistor - Design and Analysis
RF Design Guide - From Bowick

But the above books is conveyed information about small signal, how about books talking high power design in academic and professional view? Any recommendation?

cripps rf amplifier download

I have never seen a book written at the university level on RF power. There have been several ones at the hobby level written 20 years ago. Most of the other useful information in this area was contained in Motorola application notes. Try going to manufacturer's web site and look for application notes and example designs.

rca microwave cook book

you may consider the books written by steve cripps

Advanced Techniques in RF Power Amplifier Design
RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications

You may also posted your question here.

forgotten

I had forgotten about Cripps book. It is probably the best one in print today, but it is a small subset of the information available from the manufacturers. Companies like RCA, Motorola, Eimac, Philips, Communication Transistor Corporation, and others each of which produced individual ap notes or whole books that are each more extensive than the Cripps book.

High-Linearity RF Amplifier Design by Peter B. Kennington is a good book on system design. He spends a little time on basic amplifiers and a whole lot on how to surround the amplifier with other circuits to improve the linearity.

To give you an example of what is missing from most books, the best treatment of RF power transformers is in application notes by Motorola, Philips, Ferroxcube, and Advanced Power Techonolgy. The best treatment of transmission line transformers I have ever read was in a book (whose title I cannot remember) not on amplifier design.

Cripps is about it. You might also try Solid State Radio Engineering by Kraus/Raab. But if you are interested in HF (2-30MHz), Helge Granburg from Moto wrote a book called High Power RF design many years ago.

Cripps book is the best (in my opinion).

You may also try:
High Linearity Power Amplifier Design, by Kennington.
It is abig bbok, it describes power amplifiers from A to Z, with focus later on linearization techniques (which is the challenging part in RF PAs).
But for real fundamentals, and deep treatment (though mathematically and conceptually very intense), I recommend Stve Cripps book.

There are other books out there, but many are highly specialized in sub-branches in RF PAs, like: Feedforward Power Amplfier Design for Multicarrier Applications..etc.

Go to Artech-house website (the main publisher of most good RF books), and search for RF Power Amplifier, you will get a handfull of titles..

found it

The source of information on the transmission line transformers is in a book of information from Motorola.

Radio Frequency Transistors by Dye and Granberg. Published by Butterworth-Heinemann in 1993. This book also goes by the Motorola databook number TB326/D

toonafishy said:
Cripps is about it. You might also try Solid State Radio Engineering by Kraus/Raab. But if you are interested in HF (2-30MHz), Helge Granburg from Moto wrote a book called High Power RF design many years ago.

Do you have the Solid State Radio Engineering book toonafishy?

Dear Rayengine,
The topic on RF Power Amplifier design is too complex to be outlined in a cookbook. Although all references posted here are excellent, they are far to cover all topics on RF PA design.
The best approach is to search information for some specific design problem you may have, regarding all constraints involved.
One additional topic you also should address to proper design a RF or Microwave PA is to have a right characterization of the device will be used (device modeling). It is seldom to find a manufacturer offering the right data for a proper design. Even when the data or model seems to be good it doesn't have consistency along the batches. In this matter, after a lot of suffering trusting in datasheets, I adopted the load and source pull measurements as the approach by which I get the data to design PAs. Comparing the data measured against the real device to the data placed in datasheets I can see how far those are from the reality.
That is it my friend, close the focus on your application and start to study, don't adopt cookbooks as a possible solution.

NandoPG

"High power GaAs FET Amplifiers" John Walker, Artech House, 1993, is one that you can look at.

For PA, Gonzalez book is one of the most widely used. It is available on MCU.

where can i download this book free?thanks

Gemini1706 said:
Cripps book is the best (in my opinion).

You may also try:
High Linearity Power Amplifier Design, by Kennington.
It is abig bbok, it describes power amplifiers from A to Z, with focus later on linearization techniques (which is the challenging part in RF PAs).
But for real fundamentals, and deep treatment (though mathematically and conceptually very intense), I recommend Stve Cripps book.

There are other books out there, but many are highly specialized in sub-branches in RF PAs, like: Feedforward Power Amplfier Design for Multicarrier Applications..etc.

Go to Artech-house website (the main publisher of most good RF books), and search for RF Power Amplifier, you will get a handfull of titles..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back