Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to start learning HDL advanced design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeloothedolphin

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help me, please!

I'm relatively new to hdl design (mainly VHDL) and I'm an employee of a company that doesn't have any knowledge of such design. They count on me on everything, and it will also include CPU design on FPGA. And also all our work and electronic design is totally asynchronous. So it will be a lot of work to do.

Can you help by giving me advice how to learn more deeply? I know how to design basic, and how to synthesize and that, but basic. Any good book, or maybe some good training session..

I will try to get help from my university, but I would be thankful if you could give me a hint.

Please, help this girl who really badly wants to learn design

Re: HDL advanced design

Hi,
My advice would be:
1. Buy a VHDL book: douglas perry would do
2. Try to look at web tutorials
3. Try to desing basic circuits a). combi loigc, b) registers/counters c) state machines(v imp) d) a combination of a, b and c. Look at professional codes on the web, and try to find out how and why you are different.
4. Only after having a basic understanding, go to a uni. There are several part time courses in the universities, and they do offer courses to professionals on digital design using HDL. Dunno where are you on this earth, I am in Uk, and can suggest you Courses at the Uni in UK.
hope it helps,
And you can get some IPs from my site as well.
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Hdl Chip Design: A Practical Guide for Designing, Synthesizing & Simulating Asics & Fpgas Using Vhdl or Verilog by Douglas J. Smith
This book is very good to understand the concepts...

Link:

HDL advanced design

"Asynchronous" and "FPGA" are two words that don't go together well. You will probably be much happier doing things synchronously.

A good way to get started with FPGA design is to buy an inexpensive (around $150 US) FPGA development kit from Xilinx or Al.tera, download and install the free development software, skim through the (huge) software manuals and FPGA manuals, and then start experimenting. Once you've successfully written simple VHDL that flashes an LED, you will have reached a significant milestone.

If you are wondering how the software tools generally work, here's my quick guide to building a project in Xilinx ISE:

Good luck!

If ur're using Xilinx, try using ModelSim XE for simulatio and synthesis purpose.

Take a Look at this web, It could help u in ur FPGA design,synthesizer too.
**broken link removed**

HDL advanced design

Hi....
while reading VHDL book u start learn to bulid small projects may b AND gate first in VHDL compiler. that u can get free from xilinx's site.It is called as ISE webpack,u download latest version.

If you go by this way then u can pick up fast & anyways VHDl programming is very similar to C programming.Any help feel free to contact regarding this.

Regards,
Shraddha

anyways VHDl programming is very similar to C programming

1. I disagree, in fact I disagree strongly. And I would also say that thinking VHDL as C programming is catastrophic
2. I would say there is nothing like "VHDL programming". VHDL is NOT programming, you are not writing a program to make a processor or anything work according to you. VHDL is all about design, its a description language. you can describe a design in vhdl.

Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Well I surely prefer synchronous design on FPGA but how to connect that FPGA with other components of that module where everything is asynchronous, bus is asynchronous, CPU, everything... and that can hardly be changed since it is a well established design in my company... till now they have used only PALs and little CPLDs.. not to mention how much latches are being used :(

Hdl Chip Design: A Practical Guide for Designing, Synthesizing & Simulating Asics & Fpgas Using Vhdl or Verilog by Douglas J. Smith
This book is very good to understand the concepts...

u will get the verilog example codes n even the vhdl codes..

avoid asynch design ; try getting on fsm ; may be get a starter board and do example design. donot read these two books as they are not worthy. instead go for the book by pedroni;
regards

u can access in www.esnips.com. it have many book about VHDL ebooks and cookbooks which u need. I think u should have a VHDL ebook, a simulation tool, and a board(xilinx-kit board) for practice. have a good day!

i advises some materials for systems asincronos. One of them is "book Principles of Asynchronous circuit design by jens sparso". other is the paper " designing an asynchronous microncontroller using piperfitter by Ivan Blunno and Luciano Lavagno"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back