Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where to start 802.11b / low-cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobakava

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I plan to integrate my data acquisition devices to WLAN.
Could you recommend easy to use and low cost chip/chipset
for using with microprocessors?
Where to start with it?
Any low-cost development kits exist?

Regards

For WLAN CHIPSETS
checkout intersil, atheros , broadcom , TI , RFMD websites

could you be more specific? part numbers, prices, dev. kits etc...

Hi Sobakava,
I dont know the part number and prices of these chipsets. But these are the companies who sell most of the WLAN chipsets.. (include agere too). May be rest of the details like price.. you can enquire to the local distributors in your place.

Regards

Hi,
If you need wireless only, you can try nrf24xx from www.nvlsi.no . If you need wlan, I think it is better to use a pcmcia card, especially if you work with small qty. I had a bad experience with building wlan sollution starting from chipset, 4 years ago, with prism 2 from intersil. The chipset was not expensive, around $40, but all the project went down when I realised that I have to purchase few rf critical components (saw filters, non-standard value rf coils, etc.) in big qt'ies (thousands). And another issue is writing firmware inside the MAC controller of the chipset, to comply with 802.11 .

Best,
/pisoiu

how to use pcmcia cards ?please give links

I donnot have links, but I don't think that using PCMCIA card is an impossible task. It was an idea, it is easier to use a pcmcia card already built than to design an entire 802.11 sollution.

/pisoiu

An ODM helps us to design a mini pci 802.11 card using atheros chip set. It takes 6 months (with > 1 engineers) to get the wifi approval but it is still full of bugs. Now a wlan card (11a/b/g) is cheap and widely available. I don't suggest you design your wlan card. Instead I suggest you buy the card either PCMCIA or minipci, add a software driver and integrate to your device.

1. Full datasheets and firmware with documentation of WLAN chipsets( 802.11g compatible ) from
w*w.atheros.com

2. I want to chage the MAC layer and control the PHY layer through my code. So all tools required for this will also be needed.

You have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back