Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where to begin learning electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmn.ever

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I forgot most of physics I had learned at school, don't know electronics. Been programming as a hobby for quite some time. That's the only close thing I know.
Where would you suggest me to begin and what to learn in what order? Thanks.

Electronics is a pretty big subject. I spent 8 years studying it at university and am familiar with only a small handful of topics.

If you want something that is close to programming, I would recommend having a go at programming some cheap microcontrollers (e.g. the PIC chips manufactured by Microchip). That can lead you pretty easily into some basic (and then, increasingly complex) digital circuits.

Thanks. No, I don't really want something close to programming, I just mentioned it to say thats the closest thing I know.

I want to learn electronics to be able to upgrade or replace parts in devices which allow that (like disco light equipment), as well as add custom things to them like internal battery. And not damage/break anything in the process. But I don't care how the laser/light modules and their drivers work internally, just how to connect them together properly.

Hello. I forgot most of physics I had learned at school, don't know electronics. Where would you suggest me to begin ? Thanks.

This question is demoralizing any guy which 25 years was playing with electronics...including me.
You like or not, the "Electricity and magnetism" chapter from physics must be read and understood.
During this read, start practical activities: soldering, understand the electronic components and play with them. Building your AM one transistor radio can be done with fun and joy. The most important thing: if you're highly motivated any obstacle can be jumped !

win 200 euro prize for the best accepted paper:
https://www.sciencepubco.com/index.php/IJPE

...the "Electricity and magnetism" chapter from physics must be read and understood.
... Building your AM one transistor radio can be done with fun and joy.
This would certainly be a good analogue electronics route (whereas my PIC suggestion was more for getting started with digital).

Either way, I would highly recommend that you build a few of your own basic circuits from scratch, before you start looking at more complex equipment built by someone else. Start simple, or it can be a bit demoralising!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back