Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where is the flyback in a TV and how to discharge it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

headman333

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
WHere is the flyback in a TV how do I discharge it?

crt capacitor flyback screwdriver

Headman

You do not discharge the Flyback on a CRT type television set, you actually discharge the picture tube. The picture tube is coated with a conductive coating on the inside and outside and acts like a low value capacitor in a very large package. Durring normal operation, this CRT capacitor has a multi thousand volt charge sitting on it. To render a CRT safe for service, you simply follow that heavy high voltage wire from the flyback transformer to the "anode button" on the bell of the picture tube. DO NOT TOUCH this button yet... it may still be holding a painfull charge. Get a thin screw driver and a gator to gator wire. Clip one gator to the shaft of the screwdriver and the other end to the ground wire around the outside of the picture tube. Gently slip the blade of the screwdriver under the rubber anode button cover. Depending on the level of charge, you may or may not hear a snap as the CRT is discharged.
When this is complete, the CRT can be considered safe to work on.
By the way, this voltage has not proved leathal to me, but it will make you pay attention and twitch violently. This twitch is the real trouble maker. I saw another tech accidentally break a CRT when got a zap from the button. All of a sudden, the shop was buying the customer a new TV set...
Be carefull, not afraid, and you should be just fine.

Cheers
Wayne

flyback sealant

Thanks a lot sir.
What do you think is wrong with a CRT TV that produce a popping sound every time it is plugged into the power line and then turned on by the remote control, until one day when turned on by the remote does not respond and dead?

how to discharge fly back transformer

headman,
It could be you have a leakage from the the anode of the flyback. You need to discharge the fly and then u can take off the cap from the crt and place some sealant and then u can replace the cap. If that does not work, then you have a high voltage problem. pleasew let me know if that works,

Rasc

how to replace flyback cap crt television?

I found that the wire coming from the CRT to the PCB and the component where the wire is connected to on the PCB is burned together with its surrounding components.
How do I fixed now the TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back