Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where is the best location for Ground Plane (when there are two layers only)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

card_claud

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all !

Could anyone tell me where the best location for ground plane is, when I am using 2 layers only? (Bottom and Top).

Thanks

Added after 47 minutes:

I meant what is the best side to make the ground plane, Top or Bottom.

thanks

Re: Ground Plane

Both!

This board I doing now, has a Microcontroler, a Operational Amplifier and Optical Isolator.
Well, I have been doing the ground plane on top and I have never gotten problems, but now I wonder if I was doing right.

When you all said both, you meant that side doesn´t matter ? Can I mix the two sides, I mean ... in some area doing ground plane on top, in other on bottom ?

Thank you all very much!

Every free area must be filled with metalic plane connected to ground.
There are no constraints to perform at both sides, instead, it increase noise induced supressing cabability.

card_claud

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You can have ground planes on both sides, but if you have an analog ciurcuit and a digital one on the same board it will be advised to have 2 ground planes, one for the opamp circuit and one for the uC, connected in one point close to the power supply, after the main capacitor and I foud that placing capacitors after the common point it will reduce noise propagation between the 2 planes. Also you should make the power traks as wide as possible and you may want to separate them as well(for analog and digital).

card_claud

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Preferably you can use both side as Ground Plane in two sided PCB....

If you have critical components placed on one side have the ground plane in immediate next layer. Also in case of high speed signals you have to consider layer choosen for routing of high speed signals, in which case u need to have a ground plane there also.

Both. I'd also be sure to use guard traces around sensitive lines or high speed lines.

Ground Plane

hi,
i want to know about the microstrip and stripline aswell. split pwr plane pls

Ground Plane

May I know whether I need to put a lot of via connected to ground so the ground plane from both sides will be connected?
If the ground via is put near 2.5Gbps signal line, will it improve the PCB performance?

Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back