Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where does one start to learn electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony8404

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys, I want to learn electronics and electricity. I was going to a trade school for electronic maintenance construction but the classes are to fast, not enough time to learn or read. It is more like a manufacturing plant then a learning facility.

So I took upon myself to learn on my own the basics at least so when i do go back to a community college I can kinda have the upper hand. I just do not know where i should start on my own ? can someone point me in the right direction?

I was told before to start with radio... I also have 2 books i have been reading, one is teach yourself electronics and the other basic electronics/electricity. thanks guys

You need to start with:

- Voltage
- Current
- Power
- Resistance
- Capacitance
- Inductance

These are the very basics, you need to learn what they are, what different types are there, etc.

Then start with other devices like:

- Diode
- Transistor
- Semiconductors in general

Very important, build circuits and measure them.

Well electronics is a very extended science, my recommendation is to go to a good school and practice, create projects, measure.

Thank you guys for the input so far. I want to put up a website to see what you guys think of it.

**broken link removed** once your on this page click the first module called neets module 1. I started off with the first one called matter. Even though i have gone through the basics i need to review it has been a few months since my studies.

Added after 13 minutes:

I just remembered my point to the website i listed to check out. I was thinking of reading through the whole websites tutorials and then go back to school.
I was thinking of going for a b.s. in electronic computer automation which is at a local community college near me which is even better due to the fact my parents live in the vicinity to be able to qualify for discounted rates on credit hour. I will just use there address for the discount. Normally a credit hour is like 200 dollars and this B.S. is 63 credit hours. but with the discounted credit hour from 200 dollars to 77 dollars a credit hour makes big difference. Not to mention the trade school i was going to already costed me 6,000 and i only went half way. With the 77 dollars a credit hour x 63= plus other fees should be around 6,000 for a bachelors degree!!!!! at the trade school i was only going to get a diploma not even a degree lol.. What ya guys think of this....

I have heard so many stories of friends graduating from trade school, cooking school, and having HUGE student loans, far bigger than anything I accumulated getting a MSEE. I don't understand it.

Developing your intuition for what voltage and current are will help a lot. How's your math?

mit owc have plentiful resources including video lectures and other stuff
**broken link removed**

tony8404 said:
I just do not know where i should start on my own ?
Start with "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill. This book can be found www.freebookspot.com. You can build simple circuits in reality using real components and measurement devices like a voltmeter and amperemeter.
Insead of that you can use virtual components and virtual measurement devices. You need any free SPICE simulator like https://www.simetrix.co.uk/.
Best regards!

One of my professors made us buy "The Art of Electronics" as a text for the class. It's interesting and readable.

You need to gradually build a background, that will result in an enormous amount of intuition. With that intuition you will literally CLIMB MOUNTAINS.

When you have that background and the intuition that comes with it, a circuit misbehaves and you almost already know what to look for.

You debug a prototype with a minimum amount of test equipment, because you already know the many different places where you don't need to look.

You learn to recognize the limitations of your test equipment, and also learn to separate facts from fiction.

u want to learn theory or practical?
if practical first start understanding what is voltage, risistance, current , inductance, then how the basic components work. there are a lot on the net. But the key point is practice and finding out by yourself. start building small circuits. we are here too help if ur stuck good luck

check magazines like epe on edaboard some have tutorials as well as ueful circuits

if theory what you are looking for then you should check books on circuits electronics..... there are lots of books on edaboard

I would suggest you to buy a book from FLOYD!!!! You can learn a lot about electronics from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back