Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do windows startup programs come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pardal

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I hate programs with free will on theyr own. In windows most of programas that are loaded at boot time are useless on the current day use and only consume computer resources.
I found out three places from where they might come from:
1-one of the startup folders under c:\Documents and Settings (easy one)
2-from a service lounched atomatically
3-from HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run

but that's not all. For example winwasher cames from somewhere else.
Though i like it, I don't want (need) it to load at every boot.
Does anybody knows from what other places these proggys are sent?

Go to this page and download this program:

**broken link removed**
or
**broken link removed**

It will list you all programs and services running on your PC. Something like this.

regards
meax98

having some troian experience (long time ago `cause today sucks with all that script kiddies) program will launch from these points
/windows/win.ini -edit it with notpad
[windows]
load=
run= ----here can be placed something like c:\program.exe

/windows/system.ini
[boot]
oemfonts.fon=vgaoem.fon
shell=Explorer.exe ----if you put somenthig after that it will lunch it too.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ,run once

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ,run once ,run service

if it is a msdos based program it can be launched from autoexec.bat too

there is another trick
install some soft for the process manager.i use efprocessmanager
with this program.you can see the files that are working on your comp and also TAKE A LOOK FROM WHERE they are launched.then delete the folder from where they are launched,reboot and then windows tell you you have an invalind link in the registry and point you to thet link.type then regedit in the run from the taskbar,delete the link and bingo you fu*** their F**** spam.

Tanks ghettoman, I got it under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
BTW winwasher is not a spyware. In fact it's a very useful program to clean
all the dozens Mb that IE let in the system after the navigation sessions. (try it and don't be surpriesed if you recover above 100 Mb space). The point is I don't need to "wash" my system everyday, so I want to load it only when I need.

window washer

Window washer has an option to load it at startup or not.

You can edit the startup stripe when you use the command:MSCONFIG

Re: window washer

flatulent said:
Window washer has an option to load it at startup or not.
Well, we (me at least) are so used to bad programs behaviour that didn't care to look if that option existed. Anyway, I learned somethings for future cases.
Thanks.

And, stevenyouth, what command is that "msconfig"?
I don't find it in w2K.

I use program, Customize XP (for XP and 2000)from tweaknow.com.

It can help to manage all startup program methods...

I think there are many programs can do the same task.. But I recommend this one.

eYe

There is no msconfig in win2k. Also, on windowses other than 98 msconfig quite a pain to use, since it pop's up everytime after you change startup programs.

I use startup contro panel from mlin.net at:

**broken link removed**

It's only about 40kb, totally free, and works without a hitch on all windowses as presented.
Look no further for this kind of app. Also check cliomatic on the same site, another must have.

nice tools, I donate direnc 5 points

xsetup

as not mentioned yet, i'll post this one..
i recommend xsetup from www.xteq.com
its free and runs on 9x to xp

it gives u a nice interface to the registry settings & configuration files and let u tweak almost every usefull setting (also startup parameters) ;)

HTH
dsp_

You can try regcleaner.
Very usefull prog.
:)

pc booting

Nice programs, I have another question though, what about the booting options...
I tried to install xp on my pc but my disk was corrupted so didn't mange to do that i tried to boot it with floppy, to try resolve the problem but that just added another option and now when i turn on my pc it looks like:

Window$ 2000
window$ X P $etup
Previous operating system on C:

Any suggestion on how can I delete these other options?

thanks in advance
joni

hi j_o_n_i
look into ur boot.ini on the active partition there should be all menu entries with their correlating "pointer" to the mbr

mine look like this
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Softice" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoslogo.exe /noguiboot
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=ntoslogo.exe
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

just delete one whole entry and it should be gone in the startup menu too

HTH
dsp_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back