Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do we need attenuators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo.thalbach

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

attenuators are said to be ubiquitous. Surely I have seen attenuators in oscilloscops and spectrum analyzers. What about other receivers? Are there attenuators in transmitters?

Hi,

attenuators are said to be ubiquitous. Surely I have seen attenuators in oscilloscops and spectrum analyzers. What about other receivers? Are there attenuators in transmitters?
Yes receivers, like shortwave receivers, have G controls and some as well fixed value
attenuators. Transmitters control power by controlling the low level drivers with a
G control, eg. an attenuator of sorts.

Regards, Dana.

A volume control is an attenuator.
My Sony Walkman radio has a Local-Distant switch on its FM signal input that is an attenuator because strong local stations overload the radio if the switch is set for Distant. Most radios have an automatic circuit that attenuates input signals that are too strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.