Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do I start to develop audio algorithms using DSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbla

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DSP for Audio

Where do I start to develop audio algorithms using DSP?

I am aware of SigmaDSP* from Analog*Devices.

Anything else?

bimbla.

Hello

try DSP 87xxx series from motorola, realy powerfull...

DSP 4 Audio

Even better, go for ADI's ADSP-21065L or 21161N. That's real POWER!!!

JaaC

For audio application, you may use some more powerfull (cheaper) DSP. Try Analog Devices ADSP-21xx family (16bit fixed point). Some of this chips are really low power, if you plan to use them in battery powered devices.

I prefer TMS320C5510 DSP Starter Kit (DSK) (DSP8923U) ,
Embedded JTAG support via USB
High-quality 24-bit stereo codec
256K words of Flash and 8 MB SDRAM
Include Code Composer Studio for DSK
It's powerful,too.
Furthermore, it's cheap! (usd$ 399)

DSP for Audio

Yes, all of these DSPs are great for DSP applications. However, processing 16 bit (or even worse, 20/24bit) audio samples with a 16bit (or 24 bit) DSP will make it necessary that you use "emulated floating point" operation on our DSP, becasue of things like SNR, Noise Floor, Dynamic Range, etc.

That means, more difficulty for programming, because you (as the DSP programmer) will need to handle all the issues regarding fixed-point data formats. And the effective processing power of your DSP decreases rapidly. Anyway, for stablished algos like Param Eq and the like, there are known implementation structures which make it easier to be handled in such devices.

Having a DSP like the SHARCs (21065L or 21161N), on the other hand, gives you some advantages. 32 bit fixed point, 32 bit floating point or even 40 bit floating point. What else would you wish for audio processing in _real_ real time? They already incorporate some nice features: SIMD architecture (2116x), large on chip dual ported SRAM, serial audio interfaces like I2S, 14 DMA channels, on chip SDRAM controller, and many other which I can't remember at the moment. Go to (www.analog.com/dsp).

About the EZKITs (I'll talk only about the one for 21161, the one for 21065L is a bit more modest, still _very_ powerful -> EMAFE interface)
- ADSP-21161N SHARC DSP
- 48 Mbit SDRAM
- AD1836 96 kHz Multichannel Audio CODEC
- AD1852 96 kHz auxiliary DAC

(Two stereo input channels, 8 stereo output channels)

- SPI Interface
- USB 1.1 interface
- JTAG Interface
- 4Mbit Flash
- VisualDSP++ SW Toolset

Maybe the price tag is a bit higher (US$ 400-500 range), but it is well worth the investment.

JaaC
www.sanjaac.com

Re: DSP for Audio

Or you can buy one of our DSPKits, which are lots cheaper... US$180.

Some Hybrid DSP Audio is available in the form of Digital Audio Processors from TI(TAS3XXX) and SigmaDSP from AD.

Are there any such more?

bimbla.

if u fail to get with all the above solutions then try DSK711 processor...really powerful and compact too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back