Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I get mp3 core ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mp3 core

There are several older topics here also asking for that...but either end up in discussion like "dsp or fpga?" or the uploaded files are totally missing...

Since FPGAs have been improved and also several universities have done this I ask here again for an update on this topic...

Also the mp3 on opencores.org has been removed...license issue?

Re: mp3 core

I guess there is another MP3 code in www.pjrc.com .. but i guess it was written for 8051 .. not quite sure .. u better check it ..

I also know this one...mentioned in older mp3 topics...no sources for his FPGA code...

I guess if u have C code, there are some ways to compile it for FPGA .. at least SystemC does so .. and C can be considered a subset of SystemC .. am I wrong ?

In some way omara007 you are wrong :( . SystemC is a superset of C++, since it is a C++ class library but if you want to synthesize it into an FPGA you must choose a specific subset of SystemC, like VHDL or Verilog. So it is not a trivial task to translate C into hardware, through SystemC.

geconom said:
In some way omara007 you are wrong :( . SystemC is a superset of C++, since it is a C++ class library but if you want to synthesize it into an FPGA you must choose a specific subset of SystemC, like VHDL or Verilog. So it is not a trivial task to translate C into hardware, through SystemC.

to some extent u r right .. but have a look at this link .. maybe ur a bit delayed from the market .. and hving no idea what's going on inside IP companies :)
**broken link removed**
and about the systemC .. this link is somehow benfitial to those intending to go for FPGA synthesis ..
**broken link removed**

Dear omara007, thank you for the links. I do not argue with you that C based languages (SystemC, SpecC, Handel-C) are considered as ideal system level specification formalisms. Also I do not argue that C code reusability in hardware design is a great promise for these methodologies, because you can find a C package for almost any computational task. My point is that this translation, from C to hardware is not trivial. Having written an academic SystemC synthesizer myself, this is my perceprion of the current situation. So, the translation of a C MPEG implementation into hardware is not "a piece of cake", even if EDA companies tell us it is fissible.

PS. I am now talking with Mentor Graphics to evaluate their C based synthesizer, Catapult-C. If I have any news, I will let you know.

well .. i know that C is not as mature as normal HDL with synthesis tools .. but celoxica is somehow different .. anyway .. the guy who was asking didn't talk about how optimum things will go .. he was searching for an MP3 C code ..
i could have told him to translate C to HDL .. but definetly this is the worst ever method .. because simply language translation is the most immature thing in the design process ..
i guess C is the closest thing to the HDLs ..
an opinion .. no more no less

I have been training myself to HANDELC .. Like the other friend said is not a piece of cake .. In their examples there is one of an edge detector ..
well from the c algorithm to the fully HANDELC OPTIMIZED version .. is not evident !.. Sooner of later you end up dealing with wires at the C level .. I mean you have to map by hand PYSICAL RESOURCES of a FPGA with a silly SYNTAX ! !!! HandelC is not a BEHAVIORAL LANGUAGE . is just another HDL language ..with a cocktail of PRIMITIVES that are HIGH TECH .. So sleep weel tonight ! .. wise engineers are still needed !
The day that a machine will be able to design better machines is not yet there ! .. But is just a matter of little time ! ..may be is ACCELFPGA the way to go ! .. ..but so many libraries still missing !

I didn't ask your oppinion about SystemC and HandelC.

Hi davorin

look here:

hxxp://www.sparta.lu.se/~bjorn/whitney/index.htm
hxxp://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~elliott/ee552/projects/1999f/Porta-AMP/

I hope this it what you want.

And also didn't meant DSP mp3 solutions (whitney I know since long time ;o)
or any FPGA used in mp3 players with external mp3 decoders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back