Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find Altium Designer scripts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edaedaeda

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need scripts for Altium designer...
Can anyone point in the right direction.
Thanks much,

Eda

Re: Altium Scripts

Look in the files provided with the installation in directory "...\Altium Designer 6\Examples\Scripts". There are also examples in the help documents provided with the installation.

House_Cat,
Thanks for the input. Yes, I am aware of the example scripts but the input that comes standard from Altium kinda sucks to put it frankly...
Here is what I am trying to do> Create a simple script that would allow me to add a .reference designator on mechanical layer13 of an entire molex library I have.
I imagine if I spent about a day searching the documentation I could figure it out but I just dont have the time..... As usual.....
Maybe there is an easier way. Any ideas?

Eda

A script is definitely the way you'll need to go. Unfortuately, I don't have the time to write one for you - I have enough of my own work to do.

For what you want to do, you'll need to write an iterator for the library. Probably using a temporary file to store results. You'll need to write the reference designator special string to each footprint one-at-a-time while you iterate through the library. The hard part would be determining where to put the string relative to the footprint - assuming the footprints are different sizes and shapes.

I've found the scripts included with Altium Designer to be very useful. I use a slightly modified version of PCB Logo Creator quite frequently, for example. Another that is handy is "Copy Board Outline". The real utility of the provided scripts is to give a starting point for a script of your own. They're not really intended to be a collection of universal solutions to the problems of the world.

House_Cat,
Do we have a standard list of script functions? That would be very helpful on future endeavors when time allows...
But in this case I found an extremely simple solution to adding a .designator to an entire library. The Molex library I have happend to have a string on layer 13 that I was able to globally modify with the desired string. Bada Bing done deal...
Ship it!

Eda

Altium scripts use the program API. There are five (5) API reference manuals in the "Help" directory of your installation, one for each of the major components of the program interface - TR0136, TR0137, TR0138, TR0139, and TR0140. Those are what you would use as reference material to write a script. Additionally, there is a scripting reserved keyword manual, "TR0141 DelphiScript Keyword Reference.pdf".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back