Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where can I buy precise F connector in the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauloftin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
F connector - precise

Hi,

can you tell me, where can I buy precise F connector in the picture ? (or similar) For 0.8 - 2 GHz, and good return loss.... is it possible buy it ??

Re: F connector - precise

There is a wide variance in the quality of F connectors to say the least. Holland Electronics is a good source. Trompeter is another. Dow Corning also has a few that are not too bad. There are numerous choices if you are driving to the lowest possible cost and are not too fussy about performance. The key to a good interface is finding a female that is reasonably "tubular" rather than the folded sheet metal versions that look like bobby pins. In all cases you are pushing your luck using these at anywhere near 2 GHz. That is much higher than they are normally used.

People are pushing BNC'c as a better choice at these frequencies but I would not recommend going there either. The BNC is a better choice, but still really marginal in general. Particularly in L band.

I took another look at the photo you attached. I cant tell for sure but I suspect that it is one of the connectors that I was cautioning you about. Cut it open and look at the inside parts to see for sure. You will probably see two flat sheets in a zig zag pattern. I have seen s21 on the order of -3.5 dB in some of these at the frequencies you are asking about. The -3.5 dB insertion loss was not a typo.

mauloftin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thank,

yes, all is absolutly true :D

Exactly, there is "two flat sheets in a zig zag pattern" - I think, it is not good design. I mesured some and over 1 GHz is s11 >-10 dB, so it is not good :( We tried made it, but design is problem, because "zig zag" it´s bad and rear socket (wire with hole) is very difficult to make. But I looked at Holland Electronics and may be is good source.

Thank you

Molex is another source for better RF performance.

A rather impolite analogy is to remember that we are discussing something that is like Honor among Whores. I find it difficult to get excited about using type f connectors at microwave frequencies. They are reasonable choices in the cable TV bands where low cost is the primary concern.

F connector - precise

Low cost and "made in china" is global problem :). We use precise connector only for measurement. Thank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back