Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When is IMSI sent in GSM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazas3ad

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI
i want to ask in what cases the IMSI is send in air interface(in call scenario in GSM)
thanks in advace

Re: IMSI

IMSI is sent in GSM when :
1) U switch on ur mobile and the handshake between MS and BS takes place. At that time ur IMSI is sent as TMSI (so that IMSI is protected). This is the 1st scenario.
2) When 'location updating' takes place when the MS moves out of the home MSC and goes into a cell controlled by different MSC, the IMSI of the MS is updated in the VLR of the new MSC (ie. roaming scenario). The new VLR informs your HLR about this update and sends your IMSI to the HLR. So that the HLR knows about your current location.

mazas3ad

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: IMSI

thanx alot i ask only at air interface
and i have confustion on the paging when layer 2 3 setup (RR SABM+ RR PAGE RESPONSE why mobile B send timsi and imsi in this massge)
and what u meen by in timsi form

@waleedelsafoury

@waleedelsafoury

yes waleed, infact from what i have studied... IMSI is never directly sent over air-interface. Its always protected by sending TMSI instead of IMSI.
In this case, let us regard TMSI is sent whenever IMSI is said to be sent.
Is that what u meant to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.