Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

when a band pass filter cannot be used in a reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavipersonal

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would like to know in which situations is not possible the use of a Band Pass Filter in the reception of a communication.
I am implementing and alternative system and it would be nice to know when is better to use it in stead of a BPF and a demodulation signal, for example.

Thanks a lot in advance

Hello,

Could you be so kind to clarify your request?

yes, i ll try.

I am implementing a communication transmission in Matlab, it means, there are a transmitter and a receiver.
Modulation could be ASK. I have programmed a 'weak signal detection method' in the receiver but it doesnt work as well as 'a coherent detection system (BPF + cos(wt))' works.
The point is that my 'weak signal detection method' doesn't use Band Pass Filter, so I try to figure out in which situation could be more favorable my system. That means, in which situation in the reception, a band pass filter is not able to be used and my system would be better.
Hope this clarify

Thanks for your time!

Hello,

Theoretically spoken a coherent ASK/BSP detection scheme doesn’t require a BPF. With coherent I mean: signal plus noise is downconverted to DC. The mixer (downconverter) uses a phase-synchronized oscillator. An LPF after the mixer removes out of band products and the result is the base band data with in band noise.

Most non-coherent hardware schemes require BPF to remove out of band noise and require somewhat better S/N ratio for certain Bit Error Rate.

I assume that you are into wavelet and special FFT detection schemes. This is beyond my knowledge to determine whether or not a PBF is required. My feeling says that theoretically spoken a BPF is not required. But from a practical standpoint of view (limitations in dynamic range), you may require some form of BPF to reduce the total noise power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back