Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's your opinion on Magma software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xworld2008

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Some one tell me the magma is good.but i have no idea about it and where
it wok in..who can tell my what they feel about magma and the magam fuction.Thanks!

magma pc tool

Hard to learn, but very powerful. An experienced engineer can complete the RTL to GDS flow and clear all the DRC and LVS errors of 150k gate count design within 2 hours.

magma sizing dies

Sounds good, but what about standard cell libraries? What fabs support Magma?

ASIC

magma cost function

guesswhoiam said:
Hard to learn, but very powerful. An experienced engineer can complete the RTL to GDS flow and clear all the DRC and LVS errors of 150k gate count design within 2 hours.

:? RTL 2 clean GDS? 2hours? It depends on what kind design is this "150k gate count design", 2hours(assume mag@m is that efficient) is only the cpu run time in full automatical way for 1 iteration. As to my experience, mag@m is not as fast as @stro, but mag@m has advanced technology built-in, so in terms of timing closure, SI & IR drop, mag@m give me a better result. and same as other new tools, it's buggy also.
keep in mind, P&R tools couldn't & never give you a DRC/LVS clean result.

what is rtl2gds design flow

I think,for critial design, Magma cann't get very good perfromance.

Re: What about magma??

**broken link removed**

Magma is very good in P&R,and is used as "gate netlist to gds".but physical verification(LVS,DRC,ERC..),it can't generate accurate results.these can use calibre,assura,....usually use another tools to do STA(such as primetime).

It is a very good tool for physical design!!

Very efficient, very fast, uses one timer for all tools, good antenna fixing algorithm,
acces to database data through MTcl. No problem to describe e.g 0.13u rules.
To create library for magma is a little bit tricky and not very well described in the manual.
anyway you need just LEF and .lib, or .gds and .lib to create your library.volcano.
I recommend to have the separate library for standard cell, ios and macro blocks
The online help is well structured. The flow is easy to script. I recomend you to learn and understand the MAGMA data model. You will need it.

where can find it or it's demo ,and tutorial?

Can you explain, how convert library step by step ??? please ???

moorhuhn said:
Very efficient, very fast, uses one timer for all tools, good antenna fixing algorithm,
To create library for magma is a little bit tricky and not very well described in the manual.
anyway you need just LEF and .lib, or .gds and .lib to create your library.volcano.
I recommend to have the separate library for standard cell, ios and macro blocks
The online help is well structured. The flow is easy to script. I recomend you to learn and understand the MAGMA data model. You will need it.

MAGMA is a good tool.. i totally agree with you ppl.. and so is the fact that it is technology dependent...

it is the only tool which is totally integrated with all synthesis and simulation tool so it helps in obtainin RTL to GDS II format.

with regards,

hi arun,

"MAGMA doesn't has any simulation tool"

u can do synthesis and BACKEND physical design
ie from starting from RTL u can have ur GDSII file as physical design output
from the MAGMA TOOL,

oh kool.. didnt know abt it dude.. :)

aneway cud anyone explain the design flow for MAGMA?

with regards,

moorhuhn said:

If you really indeed go through the tapeout, you won't say it again, unless you are the magma AE.
Timing: compartable with Astro. worse than PC in most case.
LayoutEditing: Worst tool I ever used.
Antenna Fixing: Router is bad, so you can only insert diodes to fix antenna.
easy2use: purely script driven, not easy to get used to it. but once you are familiar with it. it's most powerful system in the eda market. you can always get your own work-around with scripting.
Die size: No.1 in the eda market, produce the smallest die size in most of cases.

Synthesis: it's so so. don't see advantage compare to DC.
blastrail: buggy
blastpower: investigating. sounds interesting.

overall: It's good choice in terms of implementation,but the No.1 reason is that it's cheap instead of the tool performance itself. many people talk about it's single binrary, combining all the function inside, many functions performed concurrently, but think about it, how can you make sure all the functions/features are the best in the class? in order to fix the bugs in these functions, you can image how many bug-fixing version (they call fast-track) you will receive.

Hi Cdic
what's program you advise to a complete RTL2GDSII process ??

cdic said:
moorhuhn said:

If you really indeed go through the tapeout, you won't say it again, unless you are the magma AE.
Timing: compartable with Astro. worse than PC in most case.
LayoutEditing: Worst tool I ever used.
Antenna Fixing: Router is bad, so you can only insert diodes to fix antenna.
easy2use: purely script driven, not easy to get used to it. but once you are familiar with it. it's most powerful system in the eda market. you can always get your own work-around with scripting.
Die size: No.1 in the eda market, produce the smallest die size in most of cases.

Synthesis: it's so so. don't see advantage compare to DC.
blastrail: buggy
blastpower: investigating. sounds interesting.

overall: It's good choice in terms of implementation,but the No.1 reason is that it's cheap instead of the tool performance itself. many people talk about it's single binrary, combining all the function inside, many functions performed concurrently, but think about it, how can you make sure all the functions/features are the best in the class? in order to fix the bugs in these functions, you can image how many bug-fixing version (they call fast-track) you will receive.

RTL2GDS is just implementation. how to choose your flow is based on so many conditions, what technology? what is your budget, what is your design spec? in general, if it's normal SoC chip , we are talking about normal, not that kind of very high frequency, very large design(>2M gate), very fine geometry technology (<90nm), or very low power, or 1month turn-around period etc... the stable flow is:
Synthesis: Design-Compiler
DFT: DFT-Compiler + TetraMax or + mentor test tool
P&R: Apollo (enough for most of design <500K Inst, cheaper than Astro)
Astro (best choice if your budget is ok)
BlastFusion (Best performance Vs cost)
Physical Ver: Calibre (best performance)
Hercules (second choice)
Assura/Diva/Dracula (if your budget is a concern)
other than that, maybe you want to do some SI, Low power , small die size stuff, than you need to consider your technology , your stretedgy etc... I couldn't give you direct advice here.

What about magma??

magma is efficient tool for submicrometer design, if your design tech is focus on 90nm, you'd better choose it.

What about magma??

I heard that Magma is very good tool,
I believe this, but I didn't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back