Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's your first microcontroller unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just entered in MCU world, mine is P89V51RC2 with keil uvsion, Proteus.

For C-programmed microcontrollers:
I started with the PIC18F4550 which has a lot of peripherals.
Then I tried the PIC24FJ64GB002 for a wireless datalogger and it has much more things inside.
Now I am working with a C8051F338 and it's pretty much the same thing, with less peripherals but it is programmed in the same way.
You should start with a basic PIC like the PIC16F687 and learn how to write good C programs.
Also stick with one compiler: for example SDCC and learn all the syntax of interrupts and so. Don't mix up compilers...

For other programming languages:
I bought a Parallax Propeller P8X32A but haven't programmed it (programs are written in asm or Spin code).
They also sell the BASIC Stamp which is programmed in qBasic, or the Javelin Stamp programmed in Java.

I just love C and think that the PIC microcontrollers are more flexible.

I think my first microcontroller was an 8008 but for a long time before that I worked on systems with boards full of discrete components, punched cards and magnetic core memories...... those were the days, you could use an audio signal tracer to hear the data going down the busses!

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back