Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the reason of my home fuse problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charming Cherish

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My home fuse always burn out, and is not timing, at first I thought it was a short circuit, but sometimes can use for a long time, and sometimes just grafted in less than 10 minutes burned out, what reason is this?

What device are you using?

When you're using it for a long time and the fuse does not blow, the amount of current is below the current rating of the fuse. The fuse burns out when the current is greater than the rating of the fuse.

Last edited:

When you're using it for a long time and the fuse does not blow, the amount of current is below the current rating of the fuse. The fuse burns out when the current is greater than the rating of the fuse.

In other words you describe the overload that has already been mentioned by FvM :roll:

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, but explaining that overload condition causes the fuse to blow but that overload condition does not exist during the period when the device is running (and fuse doesn't blow), possibly due to the nature of the device. Hence I asked which device is being powered. Eg. If a motor is being powered, at high speeds the current may cause the fuse to blow, but not at low speeds. This could be with a high power fan, or a device such as a treadmill (it happens with my treadmill at home :lol:).

I have checked out but make sure it is not overload.

- - - Updated - - -

Device?I am not familar with it,could you explain?

- - - Updated - - -

en ,maybe it is overload.

Is it the main fuse that's burning out?

What devices are you using when the fuse burns out? Temporary current surges could cause the fuse to burn.

You didn't give much informations, so I need to presume some points:
- you are talking about regular fuses, not automatic cicruit breakers
- you have checked that there isn't a problem with the switchboard itself, e.g. a defect fuse socket that runs hot
- it's a typical home installation, not involving large machines and similar stuff

A regular fuse will tolerate 200 % of it's current rating for about 15 minutes. It only trips fast under short circuit or massive overcurrent. In so far the observed behaviour looks like continuous overload. Small load variations result in varying time until fuse trip. It's rather unlikely that a short circuit occurs repeatedly without a previous action you should be aware of, e.g. switching an electric stove, a light, a water heater, an A.C..

You said there's no overload, how do you know? Did you monitor the meter rotation speed? It can be converted to kW and A.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back