Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the most important in designing DDR SDRAM controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funster

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
recently, I need to design a DDR 266 controller for out project,

I want to know what's the most important in designing DDR SDRAM controller,

Do I need some analog circuits such as DLL?

BEST REAGRDS

2005 12 23

Re: DDR controller

to Design a DDR controller what type of fpga you used?
or you can survy the vendor 's site for detail,

As i know,achieveing DDR timing might be with some diffculties

funster said:
Do I need some analog circuits such as DLL?

You have to phase-shift the data strobe signal (DQS). Using DLL is the best way to implement such delay. Most of FPGA have on-chip DLL block.

DDR controller

I think the IOcell is also very important, you must use a high speed IO, so i think the control logic is simple, but the IO cell will cost many

cfriend said:
I think the IOcell is also very important, you must use a high speed IO, so i think the control logic is simple, but the IO cell will cost many

A lot of FPGA solves this problem. Simply find chips with support of SSTL-II IO standard (used in DDR SDRAM).

Hi funster,

If it is possible you can try Den@lis Ip FOR DDR, it has lesser risk than you design a new one.

DDR controller

Handling of DQS timing is the most critical design task in DDR design. one must use very critical time adjustments using DLL for matching DQS timing & phase requirement.

maksya said:
cfriend said:

A lot of FPGA solves this problem. Simply find chips with support of SSTL-II IO standard (used in DDR SDRAM).

what I talk about is an ASIC design, not in FPGA, the SSTL-II IO will cost a lot of your money.

cfriend said:
what I talk about is an ASIC design, not in FPGA, the SSTL-II IO will cost a lot of your money.

And why do you think that using ASIC is critical for funster? Talking about FPGA I suggest that it is the most cheaper choise. For example, Cyclone from Altera. It supports DDR interface and costs about 30$.

maksya said:
cfriend said:

And why do you think that using ASIC is critical for funster? Talking about FPGA I suggest that it is the most cheaper choise. For example, Cyclone from @ltera. It supports DDR interface and costs about 30$.

Because what funster said is: "Do I need some analog circuits such as DLL?" , I think this is an asic design, if he use a fpga, he can use the DCM in fpga, and don't need any analog circuits. However, I agree with you in a fpga design, if the project allowed, using fpga will be the best way and implement easily, there is a demo on xilinx's website.

DDR controller

i think altera starix/ii fpga family are very good, cause they have ddr ioe, i have run ddr 266 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back