Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the most efficient way of powering a back-lit sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkly

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
disclaimer: I'm a big electronics newbie.

I'm trying to make a backlit sign in my room. The sign will have a siwtch and will be able to be plugged into the wall. I'm using 2 cold cathode tubes ( **broken link removed** ). I know I'll need to have some sort of DC power source, but this is going to be outside of a computer, so whatever power source I use wont have the standard molex connector of a computer power supply to power the lights. So, what is the most efficient way of powering the lights? I'm going to need somewhat of a long cord for the power as well. I'd also like to have a switch for them.

bonus: If the lights can sort of pulse or shut on and off while the switch is ON that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Re: Backlit Sign

The lights take 12 V DC. You can get this sort of power supply at places like Tandy/
Radio Shack. You can make the lights turn on and off by having a relay between the 12 V and the light and use a 555 timer to control the relay.

Well, I know I can just get a 12VDC power supply, but those usually have a round connector type on the end...do I just cut that off and use the wire or do I do something else?

At these low voltages you can just cut the plugs off and solder the wires together and wrap them with insulating tape.

okay, is it going to be a 12VDC/ 5mA dc power supply? Also, I looked at the 555 timer and it looks fairly complicated...how exactly do you set that up in series with the switch and the relay?

OK--so the 555 is too complex for what I need. What sort of relay should I use if I just want to have the light blink once or twice per second?

You should look into a ready made device. Lights on Christmas trees sometimes use these.

I have one last question. Does the 12VDC power supply's amp rating matter? There are so many to choose from...

Your light draws 5 mA so any supply rated over 5 mA should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back