Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the max frequency Xilinx FPGA can run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcq

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga frequency

For Virtex 2 or virtex pro?

Thanks!

xilinx how to run

I have run designs with the fastest speed grades at about 260 MHz. You may be able to squeeze more out of these chips. The speed can be affected by your design, routing, and placement.

fpga freq

1. Depends on the speedgrade you select,
2. Depends on your design. More of combination logic in your design, lesser will be the acheivable frequency.
3. Depends on how big your design will be. If you are occupying more than 90% of the logic inside the FPGA, frequency will reduce noticeably.
4. Depends on your placement.
5. Depends on what kind of constraints you apply.
6. Depends on what kid of optimisation you choose.. area or speed

maximum frequency fpga xilinx

You can run a Virtex 2 pro up to 300Mhz...but it really depends of your design.

ktuluboy

fpga frequency

Actually, it's quite a difficult matter to run complex designs at speeds more than 200-250 MHz, even on FPGA's with high speed grades.

But with simple circuits (without DCM, sometimes - without global clocks, manually placed and routed) your can go above 1 GHz, I presume.

200 mhz xilinx fpga

My experience has been that you can design large and complex designs to run around 200MHz if you are very careful with pipelining and so on. You can certainly push beyond this to the 300MHz mark for simple circuits but you don't get more than a layer or two of combinatorial logic at these speeds, thus restricting what you can do...

The next xilinx family (Virtex4 - not sure what happened to Virtex3) will be made on .75um process, which is significantly smaller than the 1.3um process used for Virtex2/Virtex2pro, so I imagine that you'll be able to sail right through the 300-400MHz barrier when these devices become available...

J

maximum frequency of fpga ghz

Thanks for all the reply!

does any one have any such comments for spartan-3 fpgas? I have a design which I want to run at 100 Mhz. I just want to know how is the maximum frequency constrained by the technology.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back