Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the main criterion for choosing number of stages in a ring oscillator design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chacha

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the main criterion to choose number of stages while designing ring oscillator??
Say my VCO operating range is 400M to 800M. How can i choose the no of stages??

Thanks.

Re: ring oscillator

u know from the basic equation of the Ring oscillator that the F depends on the N * the delay of the single inveter

where N is the number of stages , so u should check the propagation delay of the inverter and then use it to get the number of stages required to get this frequency

if u want a ring VCO ,, then u should see how will u vary the propagation delay of the inverter

another way to make a broad band VCO is to change both the propagation delay and the stages

like fine and corras tuning

khouly

Thanks Khouly.
Say i am using a 5 stage ring oscillator and i am getting all the frequencies i want.

Can i say anything like 7 stage oscillator is much better??
Is there any concern like 7 stage oscillator is more stable than a 5 stage one??

Thanks...

Dear Chacha,

Actually it depends on your design parameter, let say u need low power VCO, so u can used least number of cell, but the drawback is the gain. Actually for ring oscillator there is Barkhausen Criterion for get reliable oscillator.

thanks,

i donot think so , it is ok to use 5 stage
ring oscillator require a odd number of stages if ur using single ended inverters

if the 5 stage give u all the range u need then it is ok , u don't need to make the circuit more complex to change the number

khouly

Thanks for your quick responses.
One of my friends told that it is always better to use higher no of stages. But he doen't know the reason.

I too feel that if iam getting gain, frequency range .. i dont have to make it complicated choosing more stages.

Thanks.........

as u increase the stages the gain increase , but the BW is decreased coz the more capacitance associated with the increase number of stages

khouly

ring oscillator design is given in following book

cmos circuit design, layout and simulation by baker

ring oscillator

Hi,

In terms of power and speed, less stage is better.But usually VCO gain of less-satge design is larger compared to more stage design. In terms of VCO phase noise, we don't want VCO gain too large. Another consideration is more-stage VCO is more sensitive to power-supply noise than fewer-stage. So here are some trade-off depends on your PLL architecture and application.

Hope it helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back