Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the I_BL of 2N3904 transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
can anyone tell me wats the I_BL(Base Cutoff Current) in the datasheet of 2N3904 for? I'm not really good at reading the datasheet so I hv no idea on how to use it. I try driving 10mA into the base of this transistor and it works but then I'm scared that I might ruin this transistor becoz I read that the I_BL can only be a maximum of 50nA only!!!???

el beta del transistor 2n3904

When a junction transistor is cut off, the base emitter junction is reverse biased. Ibl is leakage current that is flowing in the reverse biased base emitter junction - you can't "drive it" with 10ma in the reverse direction unless you have high enough base-emitter voltage to permanently break down the junction.

The Ibl value is given so you can compute what value resistor to use to bleed the leakage current off, or what leakage current to plan on in direct coupled circuits.

2n3904 leakage current

How can I use the 2N3904 transistor to amplify the current? Can anyone give me an example?

2n3904 leakage

ericmar said:
How can I use the 2N3904 transistor to amplify the current? Can anyone give me an example?

Current Gain is the fundamental behavior of a transistor (assuming you have biased it into linear operation):
Collector current equals Base current times transistor's Beta.

beta of 2n3904

You need to explain exactly what you are trying to do. Your question indicates that you don't have a clear understanding of the behavior of voltage and current (Ohm's law for starters).

Current is dependent on the load impedance. You don't just put some current into a device like a transistor, and then get some greater current out. The transistor must be driving some load - what is that load? What are you trying to do? Is the load purely resistive, or is it a relay coil, filter, resonant circuit, small motor, LED, speaker, etc.

how to use a 2n3904

Someone above fundamental part of transistors in current amplification. BJT are great for current amplification but fundamental for all transistors (not only BJTs) are "switching properties".

2N3904 is NPN BJT.

use of 2n3904

House_Cat said:

You need to explain exactly what you are trying to do. Your question indicates that you don't have a clear understanding of the behavior of voltage and current (Ohm's law for starters).

Current is dependent on the load impedance. You don't just put some current into a device like a transistor, and then get some greater current out. The transistor must be driving some load - what is that load? What are you trying to do? Is the load purely resistive, or is it a relay coil, filter, resonant circuit, small motor, LED, speaker, etc.
Let's say I want to amplify the output signal (a,b,...,g) of SN74LS48 as in this circuit. How should I use the transistor?

**broken link removed**

Re: 2N3904 Transistor

You could just use three more 74LS48's, since each is intended to drive one 7 segment display.

I haven't run any numbers to verify values; however, something like the illustration below should work too. I've only illustrated one segment, you would use the same circuit on each segment line.

The transistors have to either be used in emitter follower configuration, or you'll have to use two transistors to get a non-inverting stage to drive the LED segment.

Re: 2N3904 Transistor

If you are just learning, you will no doubt fry a couple of transistors. Here's a hint : Current times voltage of the transistor is equal to the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back