Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the function of the two diodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZengLei

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here is a circuit from the datasheet of a Power Amp TDA2030 .
I want to know

why we need D1,D2,R4,C7 here ?

D1 - IC output protection, positive voltages that may come back from speaker(s) will be clampped to +Vs ..
D2 - IC output protection, negative ... will clampped to -Vs
R4-C7 snubber network required for stability ..

Regrds,
IanP

ZengLei

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The speaker is a inductive load...

I think the PA is still stable when driving a inductive load rather than driving a capacitive load~~~~

it is stable because of the protection diodes and the RC snubber..... i mean there would be instabilities due to inductive kickback possibility which is avoided by the above 2...

ZengLei

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
diodes are sending the extra current back to the circuit which may b harmful to the buzzer

and RC for providing a stable input to the buzzer

As stated above, the diodes are to protect the opamp from transients resulting from the inductive load presented by the speaker (such as from startup, etc..)

The RC network is a "Zobel Network", which counteracts the effect of the inductance of the speaker, especially at high frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.