Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what's the differences between waveport and lumpport in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglj

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am a newbie in HFSS. I do have a question about the excitation of HFSS, what's the differences between waveport and lumpport? is it that wave-ports are used in TE or TM mode with waveguide structure and Lump ports are used in TEM mode? Thanks in advances

Re: what's the differences between waveport and lumpport in

Here's what I found on the internet.
By default Ansoft HFSS assumes that all structures are completely
encased in a conductive shield with no energy propagating through it. You
apply Wave Ports to the structure to indicate the area were the energy
enters and exits the conductive shield.
As an alternative to using Wave Ports Ports, you can apply Lumped Ports to a
structure instead. Lumped Ports are useful for modeling internal ports
within a structure.

Hi

I have usually used waveports for waveguide structures,
and lumped ports for the simulation of wire antennas

sara

My understandin is that, a waveport solves for the eigen vectors in the 2D cross section you have specified and excites that particular field. It is very accurate representation of the real world situation.

A lumped port in equivalent to connecting a voltage source across the terminals meaning a TEM mode is excited. Good for circuit applications but fails for wave guide structures and is okay for microstrip antennas.

More experienced users may correct my statement.

-svarun

so if I want to simulate a quater wavelength monopole antenna fed by coaxial cable, I should use the lump port or wave port? I try to use waveport, but there is a error....

Hi,

You can go through the post

Hi

if you are feeding by a coaxial cable, you could select the circular face of the coaxial (the dielectric, or air part) and assign a waveport to it.
If it's just a metal cylinder or plate as a wire antenna, you could draw a plate from the ground to the beginning of your antenna and assign a lumped port to it.

hope that helps

sara

Hi,

I think the key differences between waveport and lumpport is that , waveport can work exactly in all frequency you need and lumpport can't get exact simulation data in a Frequency Range.

Thanks, that is a great help for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back