Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what's the difference of mim and mom cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

didibabawu

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mom cap

Can anyone give me some information? Thank you!

momcap

MIM means...Metal Insulator Metal Cap...
MOM means...Metal Oxide Metal Cap....

mom mim capacitor

varma_cs012 had right answer. MIM need extra mask and photo-steps. MOM don't need and the unit capacitance is smaller than MIM usually. As a result, bigger area is needed for MOM.

mom caps

didibabawu said:
Can anyone give me some information? Thank you!

MIM (metal-insulator-metal) capacitor is a parallel-plate capacitor formed by two planes of metal separated by a very thin (usually high K) dielectric.

MOM (metal-oxide-metal, or VPP - vertical parallel-plate, or VNC - vertical natural capacitor) is an inter-digitated multi-finger capacitor formed by multiple metal layers (optionally connected by vias) in the vertical BEOL (back-end-of-line) stack separated by inter-metal dielectrics.

what is momcap

For deep sub micron (<100nm) with narrow minimum horizontal spacing between metals the interdigitated MOM style caps can be as area efficient as MIM caps but don't need extra process steps.

mom and mim

mim is made using top two metals..... and high K dielectric MIM layer between them....
while MOM is made between other metals and normal dielectirc..

of course in addition to informaiton by timof

I'm confused whether MOM cap is fabricated in one metal layer with the interdigitation style or two metal layer with the interdigitation style?
I can't understand with timof's "via connection".
Thank you for your attention

MOM is oxide. Could be grown aluminum oxide, could
be deposited glass.

MIM could be, but does not have to be, oxide. I have
seen nitride on molybdenum for example (a very nice,
robust, good-matching system but who the hell really
wants molybdenum interconnect anymore, or does it?).

Regardless, what your foundry makes is what you get,
and you just get to live with it.

standup said:
I'm confused whether MOM cap is fabricated in one metal layer with the interdigitation style or two metal layer with the interdigitation style?
I can't understand with timof's "via connection".
Thank you for your attention

Usually MOM capacitors are fabricated using multiple metal layers (to have higher capacitance density, i.e. capacitance per unit area). See attached picture with a schematic drawing.

"MOM" stands for "metal-oxide-metal", but MOM capacitors are using whatever is available in the BEOL (back end of line) stack as a dielectric - for example, in modern technologies, the dielectric is a complicated stack of thin high-K (i.e. SiN) and thick low-K dielectrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back