What's the difference between int and short int in C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Anand Srinivasan

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i was referring some C books and found that int and short int have the same range... then what is the use of two with same range but different names........

Re: int and short int

Sometimes they don't have the same range. In some embedded applications an int is 32b and a short in is 16b a word is also 16b but isn't treated the same as an int by the compiler.

Swingbyte

int and short int

I believe the only standard ANSI C imposes is that a short can be equal or smaller in size than an int, but never greater. I always get mixed up on compilers for different compilers for different sized micros as towhat the sizes are and end up looking it up in the compiler documentation. I have a PIC compiler where an int is 8 bits, on Windows an int is 32 bits and i beleive a short is 16 bits, but I can't remember..

Re: int and short int

According to C standard max short size is 2 bytes. Int can be more than that.
Only in machine where int is 2 bytes, both short and ant are same. Other wise they r different.

int and short int

booklog, The ISO C standard says the *minimum* range of short is -32767 to +32767. It can have greater range.

The standard says short must be a subrange of int. They can both be 32-bit, for example.

Be careful with the term "byte" in C. It usually means 8 bits, but it can be larger.

int and short int

On a 16-bit processor, int and short int are both 2 bytes, whereas on a 32-bit processor, int = 4 bytes and short int = 2 bytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…