Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the difference between CPLD and FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saira

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Can I replaced CPLD with FPGA? What's the different between these two. Can FPGA do the same thing as CPLD and what is the advantages.

Thanks..

p/s: I'm new in this area but I found one application in CPLD that I wanna used FPGA.

Thanks again.

CPLD and FPGA

That depends on your application. FPGAs are usually bigger and faster, but they are generally more expensive, consume more power, have volatile configuration memory, and may have different I/O voltage levels.

Search this forum for many other discussions about FPGA vs CPLD.

CPLD and FPGA

it is really depends on your application small FPGA cost less than big CPLD, but can you afford to boot load FPGA at start up, in some case you might want to use small CPLD, to boot your microprocessor system, than load FPGA. it is totally up you.
Look at the data sheets for FPGA and CPLD and you will see the difference

Good Lack!

Re: CPLD and FPGA

Hi,

FPGA use SRAM as configuration element. So you need to configure FPGA on every power-up occurrence. You need additional configuration E2PROM or uC unit.
Also timings in FPGA are different and more routing dependable.

Re: CPLD and FPGA

for small logic elements(LE) used in your project go for cpld .
for large LE used in your project go for fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back