Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the difference between 0.18um and 0.09um?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnq_hu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
technologie 0.09 um

I mean, unlike digital circuits, the minimal length is not always used in analog designs. If 1um is used for the device length, what's the difference for 0.18um and 0.09um process?:?:

0.09 um tech

obviously the difference is vdd level. smaller voltage biasing should be used in 90nm to preserve headroom in order to remain all transistor in saturation.

Threshold voltage is another concern. 90nm has lower Vth than 0.18um.

this a problem facing analog designers , which becomes a big challenge as technology shrinks for the sake of digital designs, in 0.18 technology ,nominal supply voltage is 1.8v, while in .09, supply is 1v :(, also, leakage problems becomes serious in .09 technology, and you may find a significant current passing in the gate :(, threshold voltage didnt shrink much to account for lower supply voltage and so , cascoding multi transistors will become veryy hard, also , designing analog circuits in this low supply will become very hard , for example , it will be a challenge to design a VCO to meet the required specs on phase noise within the required power budget

So, process shrink doesn't mean area shrink for analog designs. Maybe the area will be larger in some cases. Now I am porting a amplifier from 0.18 to 0.09. I found I have to increase the device size to meet the output range requirment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back