Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the best way to measure high impedance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomba

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
High impedance measure

I need to measure impedance (only real part) between 1MOhm to 60MOhm, passing through them a 1khz sine wave, and I can't use more than 20nA pp. I was working in it some time ago, I tested a lot of VCCS combinations to sustent this small current. But today I still have troubles to understand or to decide the best way to solve this problem.
I need help; theory, papers, suggestions, applications note, schematics or advice are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Re: High impedance measure

Have you considered a bridge circuit with an electrometer type amplifier?

Yes, but I have a lot of doubt about implementation of it. I know that the measure impedance have a considerable capacitance component, and I don't how to configure the opposite impedance in the bridge, and fix the peak to peak current. When I started, I read an application note from Agilent Technology (somebody posted to me in elktroda forum), and I decided to use current source and four point topology.
But now I'm using a current source with the simplest OP, and the measure is made in the loop, precarious (in my point of view), but is working fine, with the problem that I can't down the current, lees than 100nA the signal noise ratio become poor, and the high measure point is very sensitive to the noise.
Could you post me a link or recommend me a e-book about using bridge with an electrometer op.

Thank you very much flatulent

I do not have any links. One way to reduce the noise in your circuit is to use a narrow band filter in the receiving part of the system.

If you synchronously detected with I and Q channels, you could get the real and reactive components of your sample. Following these I and Q detectors is where to put the narrow filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.