Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the best OS for embedded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asemnor

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a program in the embedded space and I wonder which OS will be the best to choose.Should it be Windows CE or Embedded linux

best os for development

linux

as many companies are also switching their base os to linux so application developed will be having wide acceptance. and ofcoure easy customization

english forums for vxworks arm, wince

Why not Vxworks. The OS supports a lot of CPU, and it is easy to develop.

Re: What Os is the best

what is the VxWorks price for ARM micros?

I think VxWorks price is too high ,and It is better to use linux embedded.

beware of linux though if your are targeting medical applications ..its still pretty hard to push it towards approval.........
-G

What Os is the best

haha, it is a difficult question to answer, maybe, we can take it as an discussion.
None of OSs is perfect, nor none of OSs is applicable to all cases. you can make a decision by compare the cost of the software, the cost of develope your own application, the technical support and some other issues.

your demand and your money determine your choose

What Os is the best

The choice of OS depends on one's liking and usage, but as an open source supporter I could say that linux would be a good start for a user friendly OS(I'm not mentioning windows of any type as an "OS" when it comes to programming and embedded systems). But if you ask my opinion, after a start with linux it would be good to follow up with BSD systems; especially FreeBSD and NetBSD. I haven't used NetBSD yet but, it supports a WIDE range of hardware and they have a plan for running it even on a toast machine :) NetBSD fans say : "Of course it runs NetBSD !"

FreeBSD on the other hand, is the most stable and commonly used BSD(probably the best supported one among the the other BSDs), and it is especially ideal for development and system administration.

Choose OS in embedded system depend on trade-off between cost and perfomance. The best does not exist in general, but the ideal OS is that you write yourself.

What Os is the best

linux

as many companies are also switching their base os to linux . so the future is definitely is of linux and any dedicated embedded systems would fail to solve the purpose of most needed poineers in the future.

This is a question that can start a war :)

Anyway, the choice not clear cut. It really depends on the type of project, the budget and whether or not you need technical support and extra goodies. Another crucial factor is (in your case as you probably looks like building an interactive system) whether the GUI is good or not and whether you can develop your application quickly enough on it.

linux...definitely as it is faster than windows i guess...plus linux wont get virus infected easily so ur embedded program files will be safer

What Os is the best

As the 'chinese officials' have declared being against "wintel (windows + intel) it makes sense to choose Linux. However you did not mentionned if your application is real time or not.. May be a simple RTOS with file handling would be sufficient ?
:)

What Os is the best

embedded linux is my choice...
not only it is much faster and cost effective, its source code is freely available, so you can modify it to your needs.

What Os is the best

I love embedded linux . you can modify and development code by your self.

------------------------------------
http://www.micro4you.com

What Os is the best

microsoft embedded window OS is good otherwise profer winnt .

for more realible in embedded LINUX

What Os is the best

I use uclinux on my project. realible and convenient
ARM7tdmi is supported.

WINDOWS CE AND LIUX EMBEDDED

BOTH HAVE ADVATAGES AND DISADVANTAGES

it depends upon the project u r working on.

What Os is the best

I use vxworks.But I should declare the vxworks OS is not the best OS. Only because the high costs is pretentious. what the best OS is depends on what you need. Security level and the performance, the supporting CPU and development environment , the cost the technical support should be considered firstly.

u`ll be bankrupt if u use micro$oft embedded tools.......

Linux is better and its cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back