Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the best language for interfacing using PCI bus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber_seth18

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PCI Problem..

what's the best langauge to be use in interfacing using pci bus?

Re: PCI Problem..

linux depends on C files, headers and librariers for all its pci drivers.
Windows??

PCI Problem..

Yes Windows too. Drivers, kernel, all the critical stuff are written in C.

PCI Problem..

also you can use national instruments, LABVIEW for developing a driver for your pci device.
it has a wizard(NI VISA) for developing driver...

to interface with PCI devices (I mean building software for them), what you need to built very often is a kind of Kernel Mode Driver, wheter it's in Windows or Linux. Kernel mode drivers are written in C/C++ language, depending on the OS.In windows (NT kernel version, i.e. NT4/2K/XP) you have to built a driver that comply to WDM, or perhaps you want a quick hack version that don't comply to WDM but the older NT4 style driver, it'll still work though on win 2K/XP. In Linux,you might want to built the LKM(Loadable Kernel Module) as your choice of driver architecture. Get some books on the subject to get familiar, and mind you that the windows version is harder to make than the linux version. You will need Windows DDK (Driver Development Kit) for windows driver development. While in Linux (in kernel 2.4) all you need is the kernel sources in the right place.

echo47 said:
Yes Windows too. Drivers, kernel, all the critical stuff are written in C.

I write both VXD (for 9x) and KMD (for NT family) in Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back